LegacyGT.com

More Wheel-Tire Fitment Questions

MtnSub

Many great posts on wheel/tire fitment, but some conflicting statements and many comments before actual experience that exists today. Any reason that a 18x8/40/225 will fit better than 17/8/45/225? Early posts suggest that 18x8/225s will require fender roll or caution. Is that really true after experience? Tirerack list a number of 18x8/225 combos for Leg GT/05. Anyone know about Speed Star SP1s 17x8s from Japan that just showed up on Tirerack list? Again even Tirerack site has conflicting info. Site says 18x8 for Speed Star only in one place and offers optional 17x8 in another part of site. Don't want any nasty surprises with wheel/tire combos.

I'm no expert but I guess you'd want to be as close to the OEM total wheel height as possible. 1 inche = 2.54 cm OEM wheel = 215/45/17 total wheel height = (17*2.54)+(0.45*215/10) = 52.855 cm proposed 18" wheel = 225/40/18 total wheel height = (18*2.54)+(0.40*225/10) = 54.72 cm proposed 17" wheel = 225/45/17 total wheel height = (17*2.54)+(0.45*225/10) = 53.305 cm So your proposed 17" wheel/tire combo may be a better fit for the Legacy GT.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Also, the key spec you are missing is offset. With a wider rim, you will need a corresponding lower offset so that the back side of the rim doesn't rub on your struts/springs. However, with the lower offset, you are pushing your rim out toward the fender. Plus, also consider the fact that you are talking about larger tire diameters than stock as pointed out by TeeLoo, which could affect how close your rims/tires come to the suspension or the fender, depending upon your offset. Having said that, TireRack seems to undergo very careful testing of wheel/tire combos to verify they fit correctly before they list them for sale. If you have any qualms about any of their tire packages, you should ask to speak to Luke at Tirerack to get some reassurance about fitment.

Thanks for comments TeeLoo and SC GT, I should have mentioned that +48 seems to be accepted offset for 8/18/225. I think I am just going to go with the OZ Superleggra's 18x8x225/off-set +48. This set-up is on tirerack and it is good quality wheel for decent price. The Speed Star Wheels SP1s look very nice, but I am not familiar with them and they are another $65 per wheel. Now, is it Khumo or Toyo all-wheathers? Me thinking Toyo Prox

Archived