LegacyGT.com

Yakima Roof Rack for sedan

mmm def

I installed a Yakima rack on my 08 2.5i.

Used Q53 clips based on Jim_KT's post and they work perfect. 48" bars as well. I've removed the rack after 1 week of use and there is no damage where the clips grab near the window (I think the soft rubbery finish on that window frame helps).

There is about 1/8" clearance when you close the door between the glass. I have opened and closed all 4 doors so many times and have zero worry about the glass hitting the clip now. The glass clears the clip and the as soon as it goes past the clip it sucks up into the frame area (this is the point at which the door hits the door latch and then is pulled up and tight).

There is a bit of wind noise with out any cargo box on. I found it quieter with the box on for some reason. My mileage suffered though. (2-3 mpg at most with the cargo box on, 1-2mpg with just the bars on). I think I will invest in they front air dam thing for the yakima rack when I find a good deal.

What I am most impressed about comign from a Thule rack on a different car is the ease with which the Yakima bars install and uninstall on the car once you have gone through the setup. The thule rack required an allen-wrench to tighten each of the 4 towers, but the yakima one you just unluck the 4 towers and flip up the clamp. Simple and effective.

Hope this helps. Never thought I'd write so much about a car rack.

Archived