LegacyGT.com

starting problems

is it cranking slowly? indicates low battery voltage, common when temps starts dropping--more strain on batteries

if its cranking normally when you turn the key, check fuel pump psi. low pump pressure could indicate a weak fuel pump.

there are a ton of other possibilities, but that's a good starting point........

it starts slow like it may be the starter...but that wouldnt have anything to do with giving it gas to start it i wouldnt think.. but it did backfire a little from under the hood..which i didnt like...also the check engine light goes off and on alot but i have no idea how to check the codes ,, it has just over 200,000 miles just wondered if its worth the money and effort ... there is one thing i have noticed about the car.. after i have driven the car a good ways say like 50 to 75 miles i notice a sickening burning sweet smell like maybe antifreeze is burning... dont know where its coming from it dont smoke and isnt leaking and fluids that i can tell any ideas...

slowly cranking is related to voltage---get a volt meter and check battery voltage. 11.9 ish to 12.9 when not running is good. have someone start the car and watch the meter; if volage drops below 9 volts, you have a bad starter---too much amp draw------.after starting the car, the meter should read btween 13.5 to 15. i know u said u had a cel, but excessive low voltage can wreak havoc the the pcm and ecu's operation..............

Well as the starter ages it also becomes less efficent with the given power so its most likey just the starter and not a whole electrical system problem. Take it off and bring it to advanced auto parts and have them test it.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

some bench testers don't put enough load on the unit to say for sure-----the starter is not fighting the engine's compression, so it'll spin easier. it could be something else-----corroded cable, bad connection.........etc

it's kinda tough to diagnose with out being in front of the car..........

thanks guys ill check it out and let you now if it is the starter.....btw how many of you out there have as many miles as mine id like to know bout how long they will run with proper care...i have a madza mpv that has 300,000 and runs fine.. i also still want to know if anyone has any ideas on where that smell might be coming from..it seems to come from under the car on the driver side when the engine is hot...

Archived