LegacyGT.com

Cheapie alloys to mount snows on...

rotaryracer

So, I'm trying to decide between these two, unless someone can point me to another option that's cheaper. [b]ASA JS1 - $119 each + shipping = $127 each (TireRack)[/b] 17x7 5x100 ET51 and reasonably lightweight at 19.1 lbs [img]http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/asa/swap/asa_js1_sml_ci3_l.jpg[/img] [b]Rage Breaker - $99 each with free shipping (Discount Tire)[/b] 17x7 5x100 ET47, no idea on weight, uses hub-centering rings [img]http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/rgebre.s.ang.jpg[/img] I'm probably going to be mounting either Dunlop Graspic DS2, Blizzak WS50s, or Hakkapellita RSi's on these, most likely in the 205/50/17 size. If I go with the rims from TireRack, I can get the DS2s already mounted and balanced, which may bring the total package price down some. I'm also not certain whether I can re-use my stock lug nuts and wheel locks with either of these wheels, or if I have to get another set of lugs. Discount Tire added in a 'hardware kit' for $45 with the Rage wheels; I believe TireRack will include them if I buy wheels & tires. Any thoughts/ideas? With the amount of road salt that NY puts on the roads, any alloy will look like crap after a few years. Since I can't get steelies for winter wheels, I'm looking for the most expendable alloys I can find. Thanks! Jason

My first choice would be to get a second set of factory alloys, but I haven't been able to score a set as of yet. I would definitely consider used, but most folks selling used rims are selling NICE used rims - Prodrives, Volk, etc. - and I need craptastic, cheap rims that I don't care about! :D I've found cheaper new rims on eBay, but when you add in the marked-up shipping, it's still around the $400ish mark. I'm starting to lean towards the ASAs from Tire Rack and getting a set of Graspics mounted up. I'd like to get Nokian RSi snows, but the limited availability, long lead time, and almost 2X the price (plus mount, balance, etc.) is starting to steer me away... Jason

I know a guy who has a set of the 17" Rage Breakers with Azenis' mounted on them from his wrx that he sold--you could always buy them and sell the azenis' if you didn't want the summers to recoup part of the cost, or he said he'd be willing to split them. I'd have gone for them myself possibly but finances are looking like I'll have to try to get by on the re-92's this winter alas. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you his email address.

Archived