LegacyGT.com

Need a box for 07 OBXT that fits 190cm skis, min

Searching the forums, I've found that people are using the Thule Atlantis 1200 and Yakima Skybox 16 on the newer OBs / Legacies without interfering with opening the hatch due to the rear spoiler. Will either of those fit 190 cm skis? Are there any other options? Since I'm going to buy a new box, I'd like to get one that fits without hitting the spoiler ... out of the box. Any ideas? Thanks.

I looked at the Atlantis 1200 and found it would (barely) hold my 195s, but that it would interfere with the spoiler on my '06 OBXT. I didn't actually try to mount one, I just measured from the farthest back you could put the front mount to the back of the unit and it was 2 inches too long. And that was with my front crossbar mounted in the hole at front of the roof rack, which is not what the factory intended it to be used for. The factory recommends the front crossbar to be 10 inches back, which renders the rack useless if you want to use the hatch too.

I had a '99 OB and I was able to fit a roof box, but the rack on this new Outbacks is shorter and the spoiler takes out another 6 inches or so. I prefer a cargo box for skis, but I'n not going to mess with the hatch for the next five months, so my skis now get to ride inside. The mag-chloride they put on Colorado roads will rust ski edges in no time.

If you have links to those other forums where people got a cargo box to work, please forward a link to the discussion.

The GT Wagon has different roof rails than the Outback. It looks like his front crossbar is in about the same position as mine -- right behind the B-pillar. The difference is that his foot-packs are different than the Yakima LowRiders that work on Outback rails. His foot-packs raise the crossbars (and box) about an inch higher than the LowRider. If you go to the picture he has of the open hatch and the back of the box, imagine what would happen if you lower the box by an inch or so...

If you have an REI (or other retailer that takes back anything) I would still give it a try. If it works, let me know.

I put on a Yakima Skybox 1600. It is shorter and wider. I can fit 190cm skis, just barely, diagonally. It is marginal for my needs, but the Skybox 1600 just fits on the factory rack without interferring with the spoiler on the hatch. BTW, it is fairly quiet on the road. For longer skis, I will simply do it the old fashioned way and strap them on top next to the box inside a ski bag.

IMO, Subaru needs to adjust the roof rack forward on the OBs. It is just plain nuts that one can't put a decent sized box on a vehicle like the OB and still fully open the hatch.

Archived