LegacyGT.com

Snow Tires/ racks

P06781

Just got a 05 legacy GT dark blue 5-sp wagon. Now I need to start getting it set up to drive to MtHood during the winter for snowboarding. I have couple questions... what size snow tires and brand....205-50-17...? Do they make studs that would fit the GT? In Oregon studded tires rule the mountain (until they make them illegal) Are there any non-dorky looking cross bars for the Gt so I can mount my rocket box? I have the old stock crossbars off my 98 outback and they would fit but are about 1" short (I might modify them). They however look decent and are low profile (unlike the square ones subaru sells) Thanks in advance (1st post)

Not sure what you're looking for in cross bars, but Yakima has some available now and the Thule version is coming out on October 11th. The Yakima's are low profile feet with round bars but do not lock. The Thule setup uses a square bar, is a little blockier but has locks. Both attach to the existing wagon flush mounted rails. If you go to the RackAttack.com site and want to see what the Thule looks like choose a 2004 Forester and you'll get the idea. The fit kit for the 2005 Legacy wagon uses the Subaru Specialty 440 rack with the SR-2 custom fit accessory (as opposed to the SR-1 for the Forester).

Thanks for the info on the racks. I tried the old outback bars and it works only for the rear of the wagon . The rails are not parallel and are wider at the front than back. They are just to short to make the front work. I am just looking for something decent and low profile that I can place my rocket box on . Hopefully someone will come out with somthing cool looking . Its not that I dont like the subaru ones currently but they really dont fit the style of GT , there great for the Outback however ..... Jim :twisted: :(

[quote name='P06781']Are there any non-dorky looking cross bars for the Gt so I can mount my rocket box?[/quote] That's a shame because here in Canda, my Lecacy GT Wagon Ltd came standard with the cross bars. I believe all Legacy Wagons come standard with the cross bars (in Canada). The cross bars look nice and fit very well with the roof rail design.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='P06781']Hey , do you have a pic/link of what they look like ? I could easily drive across the border to get a set . I am going to BC in January for a snowcat snowboarding trip anyways[/quote] Here's the picture link I posted in the Photo Album section of this forum, it's a picture of the official SOC accessory with price in CAD$... [url]http://www.legacygt.com/album_page.php?pic_id=106[/url]

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='P06781']Just got a 05 legacy GT dark blue 5-sp wagon. Now I need to start getting it set up to drive to MtHood during the winter for snowboarding. I have couple questions... what size snow tires and brand....205-50-17...? Do they make studs that would fit the GT? In Oregon studded tires rule the mountain (until they make them illegal)[/quote] As for snow tires, there are a few threads already going about them. With the new dedicated snow tires such as Blizzak WS-50, studded tires have pretty much gone the way of the dodo..

I juuuuust got my yakima rack... had I known Thule was going to have the components ready next week I would have waited.. dang. So far I like the rack. Fits well.. looks pretty good w/ the fairing. Havent driven it yet so I dunno how much new noise Im going to have. Yak - thru rackattack.com. Q Towers, Q 53 Clips, Locks, Bars and Fairing - $267. Not bad.

Actualy I just got an update today and they say it'll be another couple of weeks for the Thule rack. Too bad because the kayaking season is fast dwindling here. By the way - do you recommend the fairing? On my previous car the roof rack would make a lot of noise at speed but I also had a sunroof which might have exaggerated the sound.

[quote name='jaycee']Actualy I just got an update today and they say it'll be another couple of weeks for the Thule rack. Too bad because the kayaking season is fast dwindling here. By the way - do you recommend the fairing? On my previous car the roof rack would make a lot of noise at speed but I also had a sunroof which might have exaggerated the sound.[/QUOTE] Another kayaker! (Although I'm a noob, admittedly...) As for the fairing, I just had the same question posted in another thread... However I've never had a problem w/ the noise w/ Yakima bars (also on a vehicle w/ a sunroof), so was wondering if it is more of a appearance over function thing... Stefan

If your racks make noise, this is the perfect solution: [img]http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/rack-wrap-01.jpg[/img] I have not had rack noise in many years, but the crossbars made a lot of humming noise on my 05 OB XT until I wrapped them. It's a real simple and cheap fix. Craig

Here is a pic of the Yakima ez rider towers w/ rounds bar cut to 36" . The car is dirty and the bars are 8+ years old. I went short on the bars because I thought it looked better .(and the 48" ends were rusted) I plan to use this to mount a medium size ski box for winter or one or two sailboards stacked for surfing the columbia gorge in the summer.

Jim

IMG_3698.JPG.fefdbbfadbdf6f1aa69daa84672b3d6e.JPG

Archived