LegacyGT.com

Mixing Synthetic Brands

Meh....it's fine. Never heard of an engine failure due to two different brand oils.

My question was specifically related to Synthetic. Dino is Dino oil as far as I'm concerned. But synthetic is...well...synthetic... If one company takes one approach, say certaim compounds and addatives, they could be different from another mfr's...

Am I way off base here? Is all commercial Synthetic oil basically the same (I'm not talking about the niche brands...I'm talking about M1 vs PP vs Castrol Syntek, etc...

My question was specifically related to Synthetic. Dino is Dino oil as far as I'm concerned. But synthetic is...well...synthetic... If one company takes one approach, say certaim compounds and addatives, they could be different from another mfr's...

Am I way off base here? Is all commercial Synthetic oil basically the same (I'm not talking about the niche brands...I'm talking about M1 vs PP vs Castrol Syntek, etc...

Topping off your engines oil with different brand Synthetic oils will not hurt your engine.

And for the record ALL dino oil isn't the same.

Vimy 101 is correct in stating "It's not the preferred way to go".

Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ if you want to REALLY learn the nitty-gritty on oil.

- The Mortgage Man

Oil is oil...don't sweat it. As long as it is the correct API classification for the car, it's a non-issue. Have done it for as long as I can remember...never had an issue. I used to be anal about it, but I got over it.
It is still ugly.

Oil is oil...don't sweat it. As long as it is the correct API classification for the car, it's a non-issue. Have done it for as long as I can remember...never had an issue. I used to be anal about it, but I got over it.

Good for you. I wouldn't do it and wouldn't reccommend it.

I'm not saying that everytime I change oil I put in a quart of 0w50 Mobil 1, a quart of 10w40 Havoline, some straight 30w Valvoline, and some unlabeled house brand...I'm just saying to top off with 1/2 to 1 quart of something different (syn vs non, or a diff weight) in a pinch isn't going to cause any problems. I would rather add a quart of something different than drive the car low on oil to the store to get the exact match.
It is still ugly.

I'm not saying that everytime I change oil I put in a quart of 0w50 Mobil 1, a quart of 10w40 Havoline, some straight 30w Valvoline, and some unlabeled house brand...I'm just saying to top off with 1/2 to 1 quart of something different (syn vs non, or a diff weight) in a pinch isn't going to cause any problems. I would rather add a quart of something different than drive the car low on oil to the store to get the exact match.

+1

I concur but I would only add a "foreign" brand if the oil level was quite low. Then I'd change the oil sooner than later.

Archived