LegacyGT.com

WRX to Legacy convert

Just an update to my last post on the WRX- LGT comparison. Since I've added 2-3 psi per tire, (i'm at 37-38F/35-36R) the LGT does seem to feel better cornering and seems to have less roll. However, I still prefer the feel of the WRX brakes. And, based on the numbers I've seen and my own experience, I still believe the WRX stops quicker. But, no comparison in overall comfort and driveability.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='emlevins']However, I still prefer the feel of the WRX brakes. And, based on the numbers I've seen and my own experience, I still believe the WRX stops quicker.[/QUOTE] Nope. With the same wheels and tires (Prodrive P1s/Dunlop 9000s) the Legacy stops better. 'Tis true. As far as braking technique, I like the Legacy because it responds to my braking technique, which is (like they taught me in Skippy School) a firm application at the initial point, gradually backing off as a car slows, since you want to apply all the brake torque when it does the most good, i.e. when you are going the fastest. The Legacy stops wonderfully well, IMHO, and my WRX had Subaru 4-pots, Goodridge lines and SuperBlue fluid. Kevin

My comments echo everyone else's, really. I went WRX Wagon->STi->Legacy GT Wagon, and the difference in braking performance is much more pronounced. Even after a month, I am still getting used to the lack of initial bite on the Leg, and I always thought the WRX brakes were utter crap in stock form. Overall, the Leg is a much more relaxed drive than the STi, which basically makes you want to hang the tail out on every corner. Funny, my first Subaru was a '97 Legacy GT Wagon (Black Pearl, purty), then Integra GS-R (Thrash me, thrash me!), WRX Wagon... I really liked the '97, but it was slow. I guess this new car is what I've really been looking for all this time.

I just ordered the Goodridge stainless steel-braided brake lines for the GT. They helped the pedal feel of the WRX, and I know they should improve on the GT as well. I think I'll like them. I think I'll stick with the stock pads for now. Don't want to deal with the noise, dust, and wear-on-rotors, at least for now. [Will switch to ATE Gold when doing the lines.]

[quote name='gtguy']Nope. With the same wheels and tires (Prodrive P1s/Dunlop 9000s) the Legacy stops better. 'Tis true. As far as braking technique, I like the Legacy because it responds to my braking technique, which is (like they taught me in Skippy School) a firm application at the initial point, gradually backing off as a car slows, since you want to apply all the brake torque when it does the most good, i.e. when you are going the fastest. The Legacy stops wonderfully well, IMHO, and my WRX had Subaru 4-pots, Goodridge lines and SuperBlue fluid. Kevin[/QUOTE] Kevin, OK - let me quibble a bit. If the 05 LGT stops "better" than the 02 WRX, how do you explain the roughly 15 ft. advantage of the WRX over the LGT in 60-0 braking tests...both done with the same stock RE-92s (albeit different sizes...with the LGT having 17 vs the WRX 16 inch wheels)? Look back over car mag testing stats with the 02WRX and compare to the 05LGT and you'll see the difference in numbers. Now if you are defining "better" based on "feel" or "preference", I have no quibble. To each their own. As someone else noted, the WRX "bit" immediately when braking; the LGT kind of gradually eases into it...at least that is my subjective feel. I prefer the bite. So, if we are defining "better" based on preference, I think the WRX was better at braking. If we are defining it based on stopping distance, the data would suggest that the WRX is better at braking. I understand there are lots of variables and some measurement error involved here, but 15 ft. seems to be a difference that many would call both a "significant" and "practical" difference. OK - you've got my curiosity peaked - what is Skippy School?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='Timmayy']and I always thought the WRX brakes were utter crap in stock form. [/QUOTE]Agrred. They get the job done but lack decent feel. [quote name='emlevins']OK - you've got my curiosity peaked - what is Skippy School?[/QUOTE]Skip Barber Racing School.

i had my 04 wrx for one year. it sold within the week. sti hood scoop perrin sway bars cobb accessport silicon hoses tinted windows(not in this pic) bbs rk (bitch to clean) auto (eehh) autometer guage pod with vdo psi boost and vdo clock autostyle royal blue mats (from england) subie gauge pod [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/oldblue.jpg[/img]

[quote name='emlevins']Kevin, OK - let me quibble a bit. If the 05 LGT stops "better" than the 02 WRX, how do you explain the roughly 15 ft. advantage of the WRX over the LGT in 60-0 braking tests...both done with the same stock RE-92s (albeit different sizes...with the LGT having 17 vs the WRX 16 inch wheels)? Look back over car mag testing stats with the 02WRX and compare to the 05LGT and you'll see the difference in numbers. Now if you are defining "better" based on "feel" or "preference", I have no quibble. To each their own. As someone else noted, the WRX "bit" immediately when braking; the LGT kind of gradually eases into it...at least that is my subjective feel. I prefer the bite. So, if we are defining "better" based on preference, I think the WRX was better at braking. If we are defining it based on stopping distance, the data would suggest that the WRX is better at braking. I understand there are lots of variables and some measurement error involved here, but 15 ft. seems to be a difference that many would call both a "significant" and "practical" difference. OK - you've got my curiosity peaked - what is Skippy School?[/QUOTE] Hey, I dunno how magazines do it, only how I do it. And how I do it, from the same speed on the same road, with the same wheels and tires, the Legacy stops shorter. So in my world, I prefer the Legacy's brakes. And from a higher speed, BTW, the extra torque available from the larger rotors is a significant improvement. Skippy School is indeed Skip Barber, the best $1000 mod money can buy. Kevin

Well I am proud to say that this morning I turned 1000 miles. Oh what a feeling. I will defer on how the car performs at 6500, because frankly I have not had a chance to really wring it out. I was occupied this evening with building an oak wine cabinet for my girlfriend as a suprise for her.... but I digress.. 1000 miles report. The car is still rock solid. The doors still close with a reassuring thud. The keyless trunk entry is the coolest thing since a Koosh-ball, and I still enjoy flicking every switch, and pushing every knob. Even the darned turn signal blinkety blink sounds just about perfect. The RE92's perform far better on the GT than they did with the WRX...probably due to the increased rim size. The engine simply thrives at part throttle applications. It seems to have adequate power no matter where you are in the city or highway. I have heard that the pedal is too sensitive. I must disagree. I am very pleased that with the slightest input the car is ready to react, as I often make small adjustments to my speed, its nice to be rewarded with a push on my backside. The Shifter in stock form is decent, but when I get in my girlfriends mazda three, I realize how long and even tad vague it is by comparison. I think a shorter shift knob/combined with hardened bushings, will get the job done quite nicely. I feel as if the brakes (a hottly contested topic these days) have improved quite a bit since the car was new. I think the pads are fully set, and the car hauls itself down quite well. I wonder if the lack of initial bite is jading perceptions. Lack of strong initial bite does not necessarily mean the car stops worse, its just a feeling. But until somebody steps up with a test, this is left to the magazines. It does pose a question. Why would the forester with smaller breaks stop quicker. Could it be the tires? The engine is a gem. Smooth, and quiet. Eager to go without a question. And just like every other subaru I have owned, it has that great little mechanical valvetrain noise all boxers seem to exhibit. I did not quite realize it, but the steering wheel is quite a nice piece of kit (pardon the expression, but I just watched 5th gear, and I melt when that cutie says that.. ha ha) Anway, just thought I would chime in with my 1000 miles review. More to come tomorrow when I have a chance to wrap it up!!! SCRAPPYDO stephen

Archived