LegacyGT.com

cleaning the engine bay?

I never had a problem power washing everything. Just for safety sake I like washing the engine when it's hot, so the electrics dry up fast.

I just go to the wash station, foam it with engine cleaner and then rinse with pressure. Never got a problem.

A brush would help doing a better job. In my case I only wash when I'm going to work on it and I pay more attention to the area I will be working on.

There are two concerns with detailing a hot engine with a pressure washer. Concern number one is spraying cold water on a hot motor. Toss a bucket of warm water on a frozen windshield and see what happens. Or drop a hot glass pan into a cold sink of water. Ever hear ice cube crack in your drink? The science behind rapid temperature changes always results in problems, so I'd avoid spraying cold water on a hot engine. At least avoid spraying too much cold water on it. I'm sure that a little water isn't going to crack it. The steam is actually nice to be able to get other stuff clean. Just be careful. Most coin op places are heated anyway, so the danger really only exists when you are using the garden hose.

The other problem with pressure washing is that water comes out REALLY fast. You can sever electrical connections and force water in places it shouldn't be. I've got scars from getting in the way of a pressure washer, so I would just be careful where it goes so that you don't cut anything or do damage. Your engine isn't going to melt, so you don't have to avoid water entirely, but you do have to watch where it goes. Detailing an engine isn't the same thing as watering your garden or putting out a fire. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived