LegacyGT.com

Stereo Poping sound, then shutoff & defrost blinking

gianspi

Hi Guys,

Four times this month my stereo malfunctioned. The stereo made a popping sound and shut off. Strange pops and CD screeches sounded. BTW, the cd is a regular CD, not a burned CD. The hvac system said "Auto A/C" and then the defrost buttons started to blink.

I thought it was just a short, but since the two defrost buttons started blinking in sequence, I thought it was telling me a specific error.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone? And if so, do you know what error sets the two defrost buttons to blink in sequence?

Thanks,

Gian

2005 Legacy GT Non-Limit 5MT

Edit: New symtom: The radio volume adjusts itself up and down without me touching the knob, on random days and times.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Hi Ranger,

Thanks for the info. I am still searching for what "defrost light blinking" relates too. I'm definitly going to the dealer, but I wanted to do some research first. I hate getting sent home 3 hours later and them saying "could not reproduce error".

I have seen that issue come up during my testing of various input boards. I don't know what it means either, but if I shut it off for awhile it would always come back (10 minutes)...but when I say shut it off, I totally disconnected the 14-pin cable on the back of the radio.

Do you have the Jazzy board or any other add-ons in your radio?

mvigneau,

Nope. The car is stock. No aftermarket boards.

robinlsb,

I didnt have the defroster on. Is that make a difference?

I am not sure that it would make a difference. The RW defroster has multiple fuses AND relays. Other people have complained about similar problems that were traced to the rear window.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Four times this month my stereo malfunctioned. The stereo made a popping sound and shut off. Strange pops and CD screeches sounded. BTW, the cd is a regular CD, not a burned CD. The hvac system said "Auto A/C" and then the defrost buttons started to blink.

I thought it was just a short, but since the two defrost buttons started blinking in sequence, I thought it was telling me a specific error.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone? And if so, do you know what error sets the two defrost buttons to blink in sequence?

Thanks,

Gian

2005 Legacy GT Non-Limit 5MT

There is a huge thread in this warranty forum dealing with HVAC/stereo problems. My stereo and HVAC display lights have gone off 6 times, each time only until I restarted the car. The controls still worked, but you obviously can not figure out what you are adjusting. They always did this when it was hot out and the A/C was on. The thread, which I can't find right now, states that early model LGTs had the HVAC wires running through the stereo, friggin it all up because of condensation. The new stereo/HVAC units do not do this. The entire unit needs to be replaced. A new faceplate will not work. Now that it is cold out, I cannot replicate the problem, but am going to try to get it fixed. Keep searching and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi craesq,

Thank you for the info. I think my issue is a little different though. My stereo/hvac can be turned back on when I click the power button, and it was not hot or humid outside when this happened.

On a sidenote, I took it to the dealer and got the same answer I thought I would get. Could not reproduce error. :(

I will have to bring it back in when it happens again. I don't understand the point though of asking me to come back in if it happens again. If it happened 4 times in one month why would it magically stop?

Also there is another symtom: The radio volume adjusts itself up and down without me touching the knob, on random days and times.

I only get the loud popping sound out of my stereo. It usually happens when I first turn it on..I sometimes get a loud poping sound out of the speakers and then the it works normally..no blinking lights and no other issues.

Archived