LegacyGT.com

Former WRX owners - how was it getting used to LGT elec throttle?

Just traded in my 03 WRX for an 07 Spec B

I tell you, it was a night and day difference between feathering the throttle in stop n go traffic with the new car where it actually moves slowly and gradually rather than the herky jerky lurching that the mechanical throttle of the WRX and my previous impreza did.

Also i noticed with the 6 spd tranny, the clutch was the lightest clutch ive felt in a subaru yet, nearly no resistance and my L knee didnt pop from the stress of depressing the pedal. It almost feels like a honda clutch, which is good and bad, the bad is im so used to the tactile feel of the both the mechanical linkage throttle and the rock hard wrx clutch that my feet have no idea how much the throttle and gas are pushed down and embarassing i have stalled out the car a couple times at stops because i tried to engage while the rpms were under 1K.

Just wondering if the 5spd LGT clutches are equally feather-light in feel?

Ed

yea...i find the electronic throttle very annoying and would have preferred something mechanical. I've gotten used to it somewhat in the 7 months i've been driving it, but if i ever get an AP i'll definitely have my throttle map changed by TDC.

I traded my '02 WRX in for an '06 GTL last Friday. I haven't had a chance to drive the new car hard, but here are my initial feelings.

1. GTL clutch is clearly lighter. Also the clutch on the WRX engaged closer to the floor. The GTL is only a couple if inches from its high point.

2. Steering in the GTL is much lighter. I think I prefer the feel of the WRX steering, particularly at higher speeds.

3. GTL is much less "lurchy". It took a while for me to get the shift cadence on the WRX smooth. The GTL is a much easier car to drive smoothly. One can even start in second gear on the GTL to make it smoother still.

4. To get the WRX to perform best one needs to keep the RPM's north of 3500. This is not required in the GTL. Turbo lag is significantly less.

5. Driver's seat in the WRX holds the driver in place better than in the GTL on hard turns.

6. Unmodified, GTL sounds MUCH better.

Archived