LegacyGT.com

Winter wheel options - offset vs hub-centered

malachii

I have two basic choices for a 17" wheel for my winter tires... 1. Kazera wheels from tirerack which are not hub centered. 2. Rota wheels from a local dealer... ARE they hub centered? The kazera's are 51 offset, and the rotas are 48 offset. Not sure which wheel to chose. The kazeras will put stress on the lug nuts, but have a better offset... Not sure about the rotas though. Also the kazeras are 7" but the rotas are 7.5". I want to put narrower tires (205) for winter, so perhaps the kazeras are better? Am I wrong about the rota width? Thanks, Mal. How about width

Many aftermarket wheels can use "centering rings" to make them hub-centric. They are often special order from the manufacturer or can be made custom. :) The TSW wheels for my GTP had these rings that fit whatever their centerbore was and "shimmed" it to 72.3mm for example. They are just metal rings with a few tapers machined on them to make it easy to get them on and off the hub. A machine shop should be able to do something like this.

I would throw my vote in for Rota, they are very popular among subaru owners and many people use them for winter wheels. If I wasn't going to use my stock wheels for winter time I would get rotas. Another option would be to pick up some used Prodrive P1's, they are 17x7 and very nice wheels too, they cost around 1300 for a set new, but you might find them used for a bit less.

I seriously doubt TireRack would sell a non-hub-centric wheel. All the wheels I have bought from them have had centering rings included. That's pretty standard procedure. I would bet the Kazera wheels come with centering rings. All the recent Rota Soob wheels are hub-centric. Craig

Well, when I say a rim is hub-centric I mean that no rings are required (they are a natural fit). I assume I can get rings (as you say) with the Kazera's through Tire Rack. Do the rota's require the rings though, or are they a natural fit? Thanks, Mal.

Archived