LegacyGT.com

Anyone in Denver area w/ aftermarket springs?

scottybuckeye

I'm with you. I just bought Ten S-tech's and I have never installed springs before. I have ben told that a tool that compresses the spring is necessary, but I am not sure. I may ave a friend that can do it, but I'll have to check with him first. I'll let you know!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Thanks. Let me know what you find out. I checked prices today and 3 of them are $200 for spring install. Seems expensive, but if that's what it takes...

Also, it's $60-100 for re-alignment which should be done a few days later after installation. I'm probably gonna have both done through the Metro Subaru shop.

Found this thread. If you can get the tool to compress the springs, it seems pretty simple. Yeah, it is expensive when someone else does it! I usually had Firestone do my allignments on my old car. I paid $150 for lifetime allignments there, and I was thinking about doing that again for the LGT.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38873

I'm down! My springs havent come in the mail yet, but I should have them by Friday. My friend has a WRX and a compressor and all the pnumatic (if that's how it's spelled) tools, he'd love to come.

You will need a spring compressor which you can borrow from Checker. The link listed above is a good walkthrough, and as stated in that guide the bolt that holds the rear strut to the lower control arm is a HUGE pain in the ass unless you have air tools. After wedging on it in my garage for hours, I ended up taking my car to the Les Schwab down the street and they losened to bolts for me which made it a cake walk (they didn't charge me anything for it either). The one thing I suggest that's not in the walkthrough is after you have the suspension off the car, but before you start taking it apart make a mark on the tophat and lower spring perch. So when you are putting the tophat back on your new springs you can line up the marks so you know it's in the right position.

Is that 150 per tire or 150 total for lifetime alignments...if so tell me where.

It was around $150 total from Firestone on Parker south of Lincoln, but that was for my FWD Lancer, I'm not sure what the cost will be for the AWD Legacy. I'll find out soon. I tried yesterday with a friend to install the spring, and that lower bolt is hell. We finally gave up because we were missing the Broncos smack the Browns. I'm going to see if a mechanic will break them first. That will make my life easier.

This job will take the avg person 3-5 hrs in their driveway & it's not a terribly fun install, so it may be worth it to pay the shop. $165 is a good deal, my shop was saying $300.

Once you've done the install a few times you can probably knock it out in 2-3 hours, but still no fun. Maybe I'm just sick of doing it.

I went to Grease Monkey on Jordan and Lincoln in Parker today and the guy there let me crawl under the bay, use his impact gun and break the tough bolts front and rear, then retighten them so I can get them off later by myself. Now I have to park the car until Thursday when I'll get the chance to do the install. Should have it done by Friday AM.

Archived