LegacyGT.com

Navigation in an 06

snow_072

Has anybody put a navigation unit in a car that didn't come with it, or even install an oem navi unit? thanks

You cannot put an OEM system in a vehicle that did not come with it.

But aftermarket units are pretty good too, even though it may not be as good as the best OEM systems.

The key advantage with OEM systems is that they have "dead reckoning technology". That is, they would function even in the complete absence of satellite signals. In other words, when moving through a tunnel, tall buildings or a thick clump of trees or other obstructions where you don't get a clear view of the sky and thus satellite signals, the OEM units function by retaining the last obtained signal, then measure your speed, direction and altitude and accurately estimate your current position, until you get the next satellite signal. The non-OEMs don't have this capability and needs continuous signals to function.

However, the key advantage with the aftermarket systems is that you can move them from one vehicle to the next and those are also typically much cheaper than built-in systems.

You cannot put an OEM system in a vehicle that did not come with it.

false: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=810056&postcount=40

The key advantage with OEM systems is that they have "dead reckoning technology". The non-OEMs don't have this capability and needs continuous signals to function.

false. Several aftermarket NAV systems use internal gyroscopes and tie into the vehicle's speed sensors to provide dead reckoning inbetween sat signals.

ignore him, he'll go away.

false: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=810056&postcount=40

false. Several aftermarket NAV systems use internal gyroscopes and tie into the vehicle's speed sensors to provide dead reckoning inbetween sat signals.

Was your first reference intended to be funny ? He says he bought an Outback XT with a built-in NAV. Or did I miss something ?:confused:

When you tie in aftermarket NAV systems and integrate them into the car's controls, don't you miss the key benefit of an aftermarket system, which is portability ? I know of someone who put an Alpine NAV system into his Lexus GS...the aftermarket version of the Alpine NAV costed $3500 and the installation (integrating into the car's controls) was another $400.

As an aside, Alpine is the supplier of the excellent factory NAVs that come on Hondas/Acuras and those factory units come for around $1500-$2000, depending on the vehicle. The ones on the Acura RL, with real-time traffic updates is on the higher end of the above price range. The optional update DVDs on Hondas are around $150, while the Alpine updates are around $300.

As a matter of fact, no it was not intended to be funny. And upon a second read, I now understand that he meant he bought the NAV standard (his intended meaning of painfully expensive) as opposed to buying the parts individually (my inferred meaning of painfully expensive). So my link was of no useful information. However, I see no reason why someone can't put the factory system into a model year car, i.e. '06, that had it available as a factory option (read: painfully expensive).

Not sure where you're going on the second part though. Who says aftermarket NAV has to be portable? As a matter of fact, my system came about because I demand far superior performance from my audio system than factory can provide. It just so happens, NAV was an inexpensive add-on to that headunit and it not only outperforms the factory system, but cost less. Heck, I can add real-time traffic with a $130 RF antenna that plugs into the NAV unit itself. Subaru's system is based on Kenwood's old DVD system, but their replacement map DVD's cost much more than the aftermarket versions. One might argue that the aftermarket can offer just as many features as the OEM, for similar or less money, but still brings other benefits to the table that OEM cannot match.

Now I feel like I'm typing just for the sake of arguing. Anyway, I just felt strongly that your two initial statement were not entirely true. No hard feelings.

The OEM Nav is integrated into the ECU, FWIW.

Yes, but providing nothing unique. The standard info panel is better, IMO, at providing easy access to fuel economy and trip information than the onscreen versions in the OEM NAV. As far as ECU speed info, other aftermarket units can tap into that resource as well.

Yes, but providing nothing unique. The standard info panel is better, IMO, at providing easy access to fuel economy and trip information than the onscreen versions in the OEM NAV. As far as ECU speed info, other aftermarket units can tap into that resource as well.

:icon_conf

The info system has much more capability than that. One of the cool things is being able to log information. The throttle gauge is also kind of cool. Now that I have my new winter tire/wheel set up it's interesting to notice the difference in throttle activation compared to my summer set up over routes I know well.

Archived