LegacyGT.com

fuel level needle illusion???

so im driving with the needle just past the E line (i know i know, was heading to get gas:lol: )

so i started driving a lot easier, i have a throttle actuator map that nets 32mpg avg or so says the trip computer....

then i noticed the needle clearly moving up, back into the 1/4 tank block:iam:

im flipping out, anyone else notice this...

The fuel gauge movement is buffered. If you park on an incline that causes it to read lower (facing uphill, I think), it won't correct itself until you've driven a good distance.

I also know where you got that map from, and let's just say I'm like a kid in a candy store having all this ability at my fingertips for a $90 investment :D

Ooooooooooo, do tell! :icon_mrgr

32MPG average? I'll bet his computer needs calibrating and his hand calculated average is closer to 25MPG if he's doing 85% freeway and 100% grandma driving.

Yeah, it's a custom re-map. The engineers at Subaru couldn't figure out how to get 250 HP / 250 LB FT and 32MPG average ( 'cause they been bought by BIG OIL), but some guy in Buena Park did.

He's either a BS artist or he's been upside down once too often on the rides at Knotts' Berry Farm.

were you going down or up a hill? (I forget which way is the one that will move it up).

i was driving pretty straight.... and it moved a lot....

and its wierd sometimes the miles until empty will flatline then go back up to 10mi...

but it could be from where the car was parked overnight.... :iam:

32MPG average? I'll bet his computer needs calibrating and his hand calculated average is closer to 25MPG if he's doing 85% freeway and 100% grandma driving.

Yeah, it's a custom re-map. The engineers at Subaru couldn't figure out how to get 250 HP / 250 LB FT and 32MPG average ( 'cause they been bought by BIG OIL), but some guy in Buena Park did.

He's either a BS artist or he's been upside down once too often on the rides at Knotts' Berry Farm.

im using a throttle actuator map that reduces throttle response when going easy on the pedal... because when stock or using a linear 0%-100% pedal map you dump fuel for tip-in enrichment everytime the pedal/throttle blade moves....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/bmorrisj/Image025.jpg

It goes back to what he was saying about "tip in" fueling. Every time the throttle changes position, whether it's your foot or the cruise actuator, the injectors give a quick extra burst of fuel to help the response.

Coupled with the car's really enthusiastiac electronic throttle mapping, what is a small movement with your foot can be a much larger change in fuel delivery, thus wasting gas.

Want to see what you're missing? I've bundled the Enginuity program (hope they don't mind!) with a couple of Subaru maps from osecuroms.org (hope they don't mind!) so you can try it out yourself.

After running the program (requires the lastest Java), load a ROM and be sure to go to View > User Level > Highest to gain access to all tables. Then you're ready to see what's doable with a factory ECU.

The best part is you don't have to make huge changes to totally change your driving experience. Disable pesky CELs, bump the rev limiter up a little, ditch the top speed limiter, and fix the throttle mapping so that WOT is truly WOT (stock yields a max of 80% throttle!), and you're already on your way to a more enjoyable drive. You can load two maps at once (like the LGT and the STi) to see what's different between the two in stock form.

It goes back to what he was saying about "tip in" fueling. Every time the throttle changes position, whether it's your foot or the cruise actuator, the injectors give a quick extra burst of fuel to help the response.

Coupled with the car's really enthusiastiac electronic throttle mapping, what is a small movement with your foot can be a much larger change in fuel delivery, thus wasting gas.

Want to see what you're missing? I've bundled the Enginuity program (hope they don't mind!) with a couple of Subaru maps from osecuroms.org (hope they don't mind!) so you can try it out yourself.

After running the program (requires the lastest Java), load a ROM and be sure to go to View > User Level > Highest to gain access to all tables. Then you're ready to see what's doable with a factory ECU.

The best part is you don't have to make huge changes to totally change your driving experience. Disable pesky CELs, bump the rev limiter up a little, ditch the top speed limiter, and fix the throttle mapping so that WOT is truly WOT (stock yields a max of 80% throttle!), and you're already on your way to a more enjoyable drive. You can load two maps at once (like the LGT and the STi) to see what's different between the two in stock form.

all that confuses me but I am very curious... quick someone reprogram my car!

Nothing that was posted here affects steady state fuel consumption. Throttle tip in has little relevance on the highway.

I'll say it again. 32 MPG average is BS unless you're cliff diving.

Nothing that was posted here affects steady state fuel consumption. Throttle tip in has little relevance on the highway.

I'll say it again. 32 MPG average is BS unless you're cliff diving.

You can doubt it all you want but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The map that resulted in 32 mpg is an absolute DOG to drive but it does provide fuel economy. It's easy to get 32 mpg in a 4 cylinder -- keep the boost out! It's not just fuel that was remapped; the throttle now responds like there's a brick under it. Boring to drive, good mileage!

You'd like to think that interstate driving is "steady state" but if you ever saw the fuel enrichment tables, you'd understand that literally any movement of the gas pedal (a change as little as 2%!) results in enrichment. Cruise control or not, that's a lot of extra fuel "squirts" when driving an assumedly steady speed.

I've never cared enough about mileage to sacrifice drivability. However, once the open-source software is able to offer real-time map changes, I'd probably keep a map like that ready to use while cruising.

mattszeto -

The professional tuners know the open source software is out there. They're reluctant to use it because the resulting maps would be out in the open, meaning people could copy their work. Some people are selling maps anyway, charging as little as $25 each. Plenty of others are giving them away to other enthusiasts to use and modify as needed. Soon I'll be doing that myself.

I wish there was a happy medium for this; just think of how many more people would get their cars tuned if they were paying just the shop's fees and not subsidizing other required software. At the same time, you can understand their need to protect their work too.

it has plenty relevance.....how do you keep constant speed driving up an incline.... you open the throttle blade more... and during your drive, those small changes keep happening and they add up...

it happens with as little as a 3.9%(anything under is the same lower multiplier) throttle change all the way up to 31.3%, the higher the throttle change the more tip-in enrichment...

what i did to the throttle acuator map was that i pretty much dulled the throttle blade to minimize or slow down any throttle changes...

and as John M has stated, the stock throttle mapping is very enthusiastic with constant flickering of the throttle blade...

also when i'm on cruise and increase the set speed via the cruise control stick, the car doesnt haul right up to and stop at the new set speed...its now a soft gradual speed increase....so no dumping fuel there...

and i cliff dive at 99.9mpg:lol:

Archived