LegacyGT.com

Short throw shifter question

I read about which ones everybody likes. I have a new STi STS I got thrown in when I made the deal on the car.

Here is my question: Since the throw has been shortened up does anybody 'miss' a gear more often when trying to shift fast?

The reason I ask, and maybe I'm over analyzing, is if the throw is shorter you have less time to get the clutch in, therefore increasing you chances of missing a gear.

Thanks for you input.

I read about which ones everybody likes. I have a new STi STS I got thrown in when I made the deal on the car.

Here is my question: Since the throw has been shortened up does anybody 'miss' a gear more often when trying to shift fast?

The reason I ask, and maybe I'm over analyzing, is if the throw is shorter you have less time to get the clutch in, therefore increasing you chances of missing a gear.

Thanks for you input.

Just a guess... You have never driven a manual, have you?

I think the more likely reason that you might miss a gear is the fact that the throw gets shorter but slightly "tighter", meaning you need a little more effort getting it into gear. I have not had a problem with my Perrin SS, but I have come close to missing or "grinding" a gear now and then..

I have had misshifts tho..2 times I accidentlly dropped it from 3rd to 2nd (instead of 4th)..while driving aggressively, I have been driving a long time and I have never had that problem in any other car..I am assuming it is the short shifter..or me just getting old!

Thanks guys! I have been driving a manual for 25 years and am used to the stock 'normal' shifter in my car. I consider myself a good driver when it comes to driving a stick. My car is at stage one and I raced my buddy who is reflashed to stage II. We both have manuals and he has a STS. We raced an 1/8 mile and he beat me by less than half a fender. Also raced an 06 Audi S4 and a modded 1990 5.0 Mustang both manuals and beat both of them so I feel I'm doing something right. Just wanted to see if I was going to have and issue using a STS. Sounds like you guys like your STS so I will have to install mine and see how I like it.

Thanks for the info and have a great day!

Archived