LegacyGT.com

Signatures Revisited....

TLS

Why are there still no signatures on this forum? Limit them to 3-4 lines or 200 characters or something. Text only. Something like this.... ----------------------------------------- TLS '05 Garnet Red Pearl GT Limited Sedan MT (Hers) '04 GMC 2500HD (Mine) '99 Chrysler 300M (Mine)

I belong to one forum who switched to having signatures only appear on your FIRST post of each page. Subsequent posts don't have them. As long as it isn't animated gifs and wacky stuff, text is just fine, and provides the needed info that even the profiles don't provide.

I can understand why people would want signatures or not. The case this time though is Chad (Tide, our admin) is planning on upgrading to VBulletin or updated phpBB some time in the future, so he's not really for adding features. As for me I don't want signatures although they would be neat. The forum is so much neater without them.
-ben

I personally don't like them. I do think they clutter up a bit and would prefer to have some of that info on the side. But if with vbulliten people (like me) could choose to never show sigs, we'd look at bringing it back.

Guest *Jedimaster*
VB has an option to "view sigs" in the userCP. It's pretty handy. You could always disallow IMG tags. Certainly wouldn't want to enable HTML in sigs. I remember one guy who drove an admin nuts about 2 years ago- inserted a script that made a Waldo image jump around the screen- I was a mod on the board and man did that guy piss the admins off :lol:

VB is awesome hopefully you can get that going sometime Tide. Sigs aren't needed but are nice to have and as said can be turned off at will.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I just think it will allow for quick knowledge of what vehicles each person has. Some people only have one car, but for those with several, posting them in a short sig would allow others to know your other rides, etc. There may be someone looking to buy a pickup. Seeing that I have one, that person could PM me asking my opinion about it, etc. This is the first auto related fourm that I've been in WITHOUT sigs. I do understand your concerns with clutter.....Seeing I've been in some clubs with sigs that are out of control. But limiting it to text and xxx amount of characters/lines, I just don't see this as a bad thing. Is there a bad taste in some of your mouths about sigs or something? Does is cost extra or something? I just think that with the several different possible configurations of Legacy's, posting in a sig what you have helps others help you, and vice/versa. There is already about an inch and a half of empty space below all typed responses. So the space is already in there. Sorry to rant, but as much as the few of you's don't like them, I do, and I feel like the fourm is suffering without them. Thanks for your time. ----------------------------------------- TLS '05 Garnet Red Pearl GT Limited Sedan MT (Hers) '04 GMC 2500HD (Mine) '99 Chrysler 300M (Mine)

Yes it does cost extra in bandwidth. While a few characters may not seem a big deal, it does add up with 2 million page views. :( It may be a donator benefit or reputation benefit, I don't know right now. Either way, I'm giving a firm 'not now' on sigs until after the move to vBulletin. After that it can be voted on. Cheers! :)

Ok, no problem. Gotcha. I figured out how to make my signature work, so no biggie for now! ----------------------------------------- TLS '05 Garnet Red Pearl GT Limited Sedan MT (Hers) '04 GMC 2500HD (Mine) '99 Chrysler 300M (Mine)

What if want to research something like STi parts, wheels, exhausta, etc? I do a search and every signature with those parts will come up as a hit. Signatures are worthless if they screw up searches.

They shouldn't ever effect a search. Technically they're not a part of the post. ----------------------------------------- TLS '05 Garnet Red Pearl GT Limited Sedan MT (Hers) '04 GMC 2500HD (Mine) '99 Chrysler 300M (Mine)

[quote name='stef'] Yours, right now, is not a sig[/quote] I know. :( I'm just giving others a chance to see that it won't clutter up the page if done in moderation.

I like signatures somewhat, as long as they are not overdone. I hate forums that have pictures in the sig's, thats just way to distracting and a waste of space. I think everyone should be given 3-5 lines for a Text sig, but thats it. Keep it plain and simple and it would be nice.

I'm all for the clean look, but I'm also all for a sig being a valuable intregal part of the forum. Something that will help others identify with your vehicles. With all the different possible combinations of our cars, and even our "other" cars. I'd like to see an area in our user profiles to list mods, and other "bulky" stuff.

TLS, its not the text that I am worried about. Some forums do allow you to have a picture there also, this is the part that takes more time to load. And yes, believe it or not, 56Kers are still out there and still coming onto the market. Adam.

Yes and mine will be. If we compared your car to my Legacy GT it'd be like comparing our girlfriends: I dont really care how much better yours performs b/c at the end of the day Im still the guy riding the one with the hotter body.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Yes and mine will be. If we compared your car to my Legacy GT it'd be like comparing our girlfriends: I dont really care how much better yours performs b/c at the end of the day Im still the guy riding the one with the hotter body.[/quote] eh? :?: :o

Archived