LegacyGT.com

How do you think these Stock Re92's will do in the snow?

mmm def

I can't see the RE92 as being a good tyre on snow, you'll have to rely on your experience and your skills as a driver and be really careful especially with an AWD vehicule you may be surprised; read bad traction to all wheels! I don't even think this tyre does well on rain now imagine snow...

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

you guys gotta remember... subaru tested THIS tire on the car... they would not have sold it together if it was a VERY poor match. Will the stock tire do well in the snow.. I think so. Will it beat a dedicated aftermarket snow tire? No Will it beat a dedicated Aftermarket performance tire - YES

As I mentioned in another thread, I have experience with RE-92's on my Wife's '03 Legacy in the snow for the last year. In comparison, I have Blizzak's on my GTP which is FWD. The Blizzak's were a great improvement over the all season tires I used to have on that car. The two are close in performance. The AWD system was a little nicer to deal with. We were able to drive around easily when we had enough snow in one night to break many of the trees in the neighborhood. (6" or so) I think the RE-92's with AWD is better than most people expect it to be.

My father was convinced he would have to upgrade to Blizzaks for his snow tires, but found the RE-92s to be fine in the snow on his WRX Wagon. He lives south of Jackson, WY, so you can be sure he dealt with more than just a dusting.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

They are ok if you still have lots of tread but they can stink of you don't. I have had 4 Subarus now with RE92s. I've gotten snowtires for winter for the last 3 though when my 98 Legacy was brand new I did drive Des Moines to Chicago in a snowstorm when all the plows had been pulled of the interstate and it was "ok". I did that the following year with snowtires and it was much more secure.

[quote name='RoundBoy']you guys gotta remember... subaru tested THIS tire on the car... they would not have sold it together if it was a VERY poor match. Will the stock tire do well in the snow.. I think so. Will it beat a dedicated aftermarket snow tire? No Will it beat a dedicated Aftermarket performance tire - YES[/quote] *edit* my reading comprehension is broken tonight. You are refering to the re92 being better in the snow than a performance summer tire. Yeah, you're correct.

To Clarify: The car was tested with these tires and run extensively. of course its a cost / performance thing.. but the car STOCK works well with these tires. Of course they suck when the tread wears down.. all tires do. High end winter tires will kick the stock's ass... But to all those putting high performance tires on that are NOT winter tires... then the stocks will do much better. I admit i have done some very hard cornering on the stocks yesterday.. and they held up.. and I have full confidence in them come winter. I also know my last car stock tires lasted 33k .. and started to slip... THATS when i will be replacing stock...

Sadly, I can't justify replacing the OEM tires until they're worn. I can probably talk myself into getting a set of better performance summer tires at about 20k, citing "safety" concerns in the rain :-) I can get away with that living in Canada because I put dedicated winters on every season. Winter tires are not required of course - but I feel safer knowing they are when my wife and soon-to-be-born child are riding in the car. Mal.

• 2 weeks later...
The RE92s did VERY well in the snow on my WRX. In fact, I tell people that the WRX was the best car I ever had in the snow...better than my Eagle Talon TSIs (both of them, though they were good) , Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo (no contest) , and Jeep Cherokee (yes, believe it or not). And all had all season tires. None ever had dedicated snow tires. The RE92s lasted 40K miles on the WRX (unfortunately). I then put Sumitomo HTRs on my WRX (they only had 10K miles when I traded for the LGT) and they did well in the snow as well (though I did not like them overall). If the LGT does as well in the snow as the WRX, I will be one very happy guy...despite the RE92s. And I also can't justify scrapping the tires, though I admit to curiosity about performance improvements that can be had with other tires...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='malachii']Sadly, I can't justify replacing the OEM tires until they're worn. Mal.[/QUOTE] I could, because my car is a lease. I plan on using the stock tires for less than a year, then switching to a much better tire which I'll use for about 3 years, then switch back to the stockers and turn the car back in with the barely worn stock tires. - Mike

Should do just fine my brothers IS300 has the RE92s and he was fine last year in the snow of NJ so with AWD I think they should do even better and will definatley be expectable.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

They work ok. But they still suck. As sombody said dont drive like a butthead. With AWD you can get yourself in alot of trouble really fast. With AWD you realize that you can accelerate faster than you can stop or steer. I did all my directional movements through throttle input.

Archived