LegacyGT.com

Falken ZEIX ZE-512 235/45/17 Question?

traskw

Good Insights guys :icon_mrgr

I just went out to the garage and did a very scientific rubber compound test (poked with a pen :lol: :lol: )on the RE92 and the ZEIX and the RE92 seemed much softer.

I am wondering if this tire may be have some heat cycling issues that caused them to harden up? ... just a thought

For the Record:

I initially hated the RE92 when I first got the car and only had them on for 3000 miles. When I got the falkens on the OZ rims It was during the summer and this year it was super dry (yes even in Seattle :icon_mrgr ) and they hung on like glue in comparison. It only really started to rain here in the last week or so and this is when the wet performance began to show. When I put the stockers back on I have been totally shocked at how good the RE92 feel .... totally shocked.

Makes me wonder how good it will feel with dedicated summer/winter wheels and tires !!!:icon_tong

Could be, hence why you liked them over the RE92's at first and not so much now. Mine seem very sticky in comparison, they even pick up a lot more pepples than the RE92's, I need mud flaps in a big way.

The Ziex gets really hard in the snow, I have them on my Forester and thats' the last time I get these tires based on those recommendations. The snow handling was subpar to down right scary. I can get around but not as fast as I thought i would be able to. Even the stock Bridgestones or Geolanders that I had fared better in the snow.

Another thing is that this tires wear out fast which I already knew ahead of time before buying.

^ I think that the 235s larger footprint will compromise snow/slush safety too much (for us here in NE-Ohio), bruddah.

With the 225s, I have had no concerns that I would not have had with the RE92s at 215-sizing, and it even feels more sure-footed than my wife's WRX, which rides on 205s. But I think if the footprint got any larger, it might get harder to manage.

mach_six: What pressures were you running? As I've mentioned before, if I'm just a couple of pounds off, the performance of these tires totally and radically change. Also, I know from first-hand experience that even at matching sizing/fitment, if I were to run the preferred pressures of my local WRX brothers, my winter and wet-weather handling would take a significant turn for the worse...

What's the fitment on your Forester?

I know that brother jim1969 has the ZIEX on his wife's Forester, and has commented that they are superior to both its stock tires as well as the Pirelli P-Zero Nero in terms of performance. I wonder if there is either fitment/sizing differences or pressure differences?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The Ziex gets really hard in the snow, I have them on my Forester and thats' the last time I get these tires based on those recommendations. The snow handling was subpar to down right scary. I can get around but not as fast as I thought i would be able to. Even the stock Bridgestones or Geolanders that I had fared better in the snow.

Another thing is that this tires wear out fast which I already knew ahead of time before buying.

The Geolanders are better than the RE92's in the snow, in my experience

i was thinking of getting a set of 235/40/17s for the stock wheels with my tires been worn out.

any thoughts?

should i just stay with 225/45/17s?

The extra width will give you additional traction in the dry.

^ I think that the 235s larger footprint will compromise snow/slush safety too much (for us here in NE-Ohio), bruddah.

With the 225s, I have had no concerns that I would not have had with the RE92s at 215-sizing, and it even feels more sure-footed than my wife's WRX, which rides on 205s. But I think if the footprint got any larger, it might get harder to manage.

mach_six: What pressures were you running? As I've mentioned before, if I'm just a couple of pounds off, the performance of these tires totally and radically change. Also, I know from first-hand experience that even at matching sizing/fitment, if I were to run the preferred pressures of my local WRX brothers, my winter and wet-weather handling would take a significant turn for the worse...

What's the fitment on your Forester?

I know that brother jim1969 has the ZIEX on his wife's Forester, and has commented that they are superior to both its stock tires as well as the Pirelli P-Zero Nero in terms of performance. I wonder if there is either fitment/sizing differences or pressure differences?

Strange that we are getting two very different sides on these tires. I know there are two versions, 60,000 and 30,000 mile versions as well as a handful that have reinforced sidewalls.

Strange that we are getting two very different sides on these tires. I know there are two versions, 60,000 and 30,000 mile versions as well as a handful that have reinforced sidewalls.

Interesting ....

OK this is what mine say on the tire wall

Falken ZIEX ZE512 225/40ZR18 92W M+S

Treadwear 360 Traction A Temp A

Reinforced DOT V4T7

TSI- i do agree with the winter months ahead. i was more down the lines of the rim width to tire width. with the stocker wheels are probably not wide enough to actually make worse then petter of the tire situation at hand.

& frm ur experience i will just go with the 225s instead

The extra width will give you additional traction in the dry.

^ Agreed - but if brother GTsleeper2 intends to use his year-round, I'm not sure that *really* having to tip-toe around in our NE-Ohio winters is going to be to his liking. :)

Add to the fact that he intends to use these with his stock rims, and I really don't think that stepping up to 235s would be all that great of an idea. Coming from a stiffer-sidewall, lower profile, 225 -paired to- 8" wide rim combo, it's very easy to feel the "slop" that the 225s induce with the narrower stock rims. I feel as if I've lost quite a bit of steering accuracy, now.

Strange that we are getting two very different sides on these tires.

^ Agreed, but this seems to be the case just about everywhere - I currently think it might be fitment and subtle pressure/fill differences between users, but honestly... :icon_conf

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Okay, yesterday I checked my tire pressures before going to work, it's gotten cold fast here. They were down to 33psi, last night it poured and pulling out in 1st hard the ass end slid out a bit, it was easily contolled but took me off guard, and the same thing happened when I pulled a U-Turn, I was on the gas heavy, but the 225/45/17's I had prior never did anything like that. I'll check if it's the pressures, or if they have hardened after about 1000-2000 miles. The tread is one inch wider, but our cars aren't exactly light, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but maybe it is.

• 3 months later...

Archived