LegacyGT.com

help on hid brands or kelvins?

kscottw

I was wondering if anybody could give me some clue on what some good companies for hid lights are? Also, i hear you dont want to get too high of a kelvin rating or they will suck in inclimate weather. Is around 5000k what i should be looking for?

I'd say that as long as you stay at or below 5000K or so, you'll be just fine.

Most OEM systems tend to hover in the 4300K to 4600K range.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The higher the kelvin rating, the less usable light. The reason many people tend to go with higher temps is to produce the blue/purple colors that OEM HID optics create att he edges of their patterns. Its ironic, because the OEM systems are closer to 4300K to begin with.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I get my Apexcone 5000k delivered tomorow, I will install them tomorow night and let ya know how the turned out, hopefully put some pics up, I was going to get the Xtec but Apexcone and Xtec are now the same product. I havent seen any complaints about the Xtec so hopefully this set will be fantastic.

6000k tho it can be a nice white with a very good hint of blue, is where you start to loose useable light...

I stayed with 5000k on this car...so far i have no complaints...i may go 6000k, since most of my driving is city anyways

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Put the drill down !!!!

No need to drill any holes, it all just fits together in place of the OEM wiring.

LOLOL!!...Didnt drill anything yet....In the install instructions on the one post the bulb housing sticks out the back and you have to drill a hole..not the case with the Apexcones???

^ +1 - it should be somewhere in the mid-to-high 3000K range.

This is not necessarily a bad thing - remember, our eyes are attuned to see by sunlight during the day, but they've also evolved through the eons to be especially attuned to "candlelight/firelight" at night.

There is active research and push in the tactical flashlight community to add "yellow/amber" into the often blue-ish or harsh-white output of many of today's very highly powered LED and discharge flashlights. :) When bad-guys are shooting at you from the dark, you can imagine how important it is to actually "see." ;)

Depending on your own color-perception as well as any night-time visual problems and simple personal preferences, anything from the mid-high 3000K range to about 5000K can be "ideal" for your personal visibility.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived