LegacyGT.com

Perrin Short Ram Intake

kosherpineapple

So im driving along normally and my intake sounds perfectly fine no weird noises or anything, when i decided to go fully throtle i hear the deep tone come out still normal!! with the sucking in of air which i can hear... now once im at full throtle i get to about 4 thousand rpms and it sounds like the air is fluttering like there is eiither to much air or its recirculating something like that... if anyone is having the same problem please let me know how to fix it.. thank you DR

• 4 weeks later...
I installed mine about a week ago and i have the same problem. I dont think that it is any thing we did wrong for for that matter....i heard that it doesnt need to be tuned either. From what i understand, it makes that sound for some reason. :icon_conf

:lol:

Er......did you totally forget what I'd written to you just a week or so ago (from the date of the originating post) ?

:lol:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42751&highlight=kosher

Why don't people listen to me? :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ It's a little less stable in how it presents its lean plateaus - you'll want the Perrin Short Ram to be tuned by a tuner who has had extensive experience with this product. Also, it's best done via a live tune or via remote "e-tunes," instead of an off-the-shelf map (although there are tuners out there who have excellent off-the-shelf maps based on this component, so this latter criteria isn't a locked-in definite).

The intake cone design as well as proximity of the MAF housing both contribute - it's speculated - to a bit of turbulence, thus causing the difficulties.

From what's known through various postings here, the Typhoon seems to not cause this issue on our LGTs (even though it does, at the same time, present this very problem on other vehicle models). As such, it's currently the "preferred short-ram" of the community.

The other main concern is that the Perrin is not heat-shielded, and if you have the ability to log or otherwise visualize IATs, you'll see how fast this shoots up.

To be fair, though, the Typhoon's heat-shield is not a "sealing" component, either - and that's less-than ideal in and of itself, as even with a home-made, laboratory-grade thermoplastic and two-layer ThermoTec heat-barrier'ed heat-shield installed - *_SEALED_* - I still saw temperatures in this area climb decently rapidly.

All said and done, for "Stage II" applications, properly tuned, the Perrin Short Ram will reap benefits that are identical to any of the other marketed "short ram" intakes - to the tune of appx. 5 to 15 wHP (dyno dependent).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...

Archived