LegacyGT.com

ER HC code

iMouseGT

I'm no expert (another way of saying I'm talking out my ass), but the code has something to do with the vehicles communication via the data bus.

If I had to guess, I'd say check and make sure everything is connected (correctly). Make sure nothing got cut/ pinched.

I'm running an '06 LGT that just hit 50k - no mods ('cept K&N) or abuse.

The same day the issue started, I went to the local gas station to fill up before going home from work. I fired it up after I filled up the tank and the CEL/Flashing Cruise Control and ER HC error in the ODO had cleared itself. Strange stuff. Happy I didn't have to drop a large chunk of coin for a diag and a mystery repair.

I get about 1 a year that always clears by the next day...

• 4 months later...
I just got the Er HC code, and my 09 Legacy sedan will not start AT ALL. Disconnected/reconnected the battery, nothing, waited hours and tried again, nothing. I've been Googling for hours now and it seems nearly everyone having this problem is still able to restart their car, but i can't.

• 10 months later...

I'm in the same boat ast Strode. ER HC code, was running like junk, surging. Car won' t crank at all. Lights are all good. I have a jumper pack on the car too.

My one battery terminal isn't all that tight though. (fully cinched down it still can be wiggled free because the post might not be oem diameter).

Hoping that is my issue.

There isn't much good info on this trouble code on the internet....

It ended up being a blown/shorted wiring harness in the engine. Luckily it was covered under my dealer warranty so i only had to pay $100. I had to get my Legacy towed from my house, it took over a week for the part to show up, and the dealer told me it probably would have been $350-$400 to fix if i didn't have the warranty.....

Wish i had better news for you!

Thats depressing info strode but not terrible. (Honestly i think i'd be happy to pay 500 if I knew it'd fix my car) Subaru dealer costs scare me though. Plus towing will cost money. Do you know which wiring harness they replaced? Was it the entire harness thats in the engine that clips in near the firewall under the air intake? I hope not.

Update on my ER HC.

---------------------------

Got the car to run yesterday for three minutes after disconnecting the battery and the main engine harness under the intake for 10 minutes. Reconnected everything, started up, then died and flashed the ER HC code. Won't start, won't crank again. Something is definitely wrong if the car is starting and then cutting itself out and essentially locking me out of restarting the car.

----------------

My thoughts to check next are....

1. Main ground on the frame. Clean that and reconnect?

2. ECM for loose wires under passenger side carpet? ( i doubt its this)

3. Is there a relay or fuse or something I should check? (since it started, then died i dobut thats it either)

-------------------------------

Additional info

1. My power steering pump is failing and I've been driving it like this for over week (new one is in the mail). My power steering fluid was low I noticed yesterday. (it wasn't last week)

2. In 2500 miles since head gasket job: My engine has leaked 3 quarts of oil somewhere near the back of the engine and its dripping off of the subframe and transmission. (the underside of the heads and oil pan look clean)

My coolant looks green and clean so my guess is my head gaskets are still good.

3. The car was clicking the day before it died on me on two miles from my house. Turns out my car only had about a quart and a half of oil in it. I put three quarts in and it has held that. The clicking stopped after filling the oil up.

When it died on highway entrace ramp, my girlfriend said she heard the clicking again. (but the oil level shows its ok)

4. It might of run out of fuel 6 hours before it died on the highway. My girlfriend coasted it into the driveway. (I added one gallon of gas, three quarts of oil) and it started fine.

Very stumped.

When I put the key to the on position before starting I sometimes hear a faint strange "wrrrrring mechanical sound' coming from i think the passenger glovebox area. I am sitting in the drivers seat when i hear this noise.

• 3 years later...

The cause of my ER HC code was simply a loose ground. Occasionally I'd hear a burst of clicks come from the passenger footwell area while I was driving. Since the engine was turning over I didn't lose power, or even suspect a serious issue. Then one day it finally decided to become a problem by preventing the car from starting (on a rainy day, of course).

You probably have a similar intermittent loose ground somewhere.

Check all 163 grounding points and report your findings :)

• 1 year later...

My Legacy died while driving (not a safe design) and displayed the Er HC code on the odometer. Had CAA tow to nearest Canadian Tire and they charged me $120 just to pull codes and told me they couldn't fix it and to take to Subaru dealership instead. Didn't really want to go to dealership (past bad experiences). So had CAA tow car to my house. Searched online for troubleshooting suggestions/tips. Finally came across a slow blow fuse (SBF #7) that was blown. Don't know why it was blown but replaced it and car came back to life! Pulled some codes P1714, P1718, P0700 and cleared them using the scan tool and so far so good.

But don't know what caused the SBF to blow - could have been the combination of dash cam and OBD reader constantly plugged in sucking too much power at startup? Didn't see any loose ground wires or anything.

Archived