LegacyGT.com

touch screen in factory bezel

brdaaw

i picked up a factory navigation bezel for my car and i have a 7 inch screen touchscreen. it is just a little too small (vertically) to fit the whole screen. I was wondering how to modify display to make it a little smaller so that the visible part of the screen will fit perfectly...while blocking out the 1/8'' that you cant see on the bottom. the way im gonna mount the screen will cut off the bottom 1/8'' to 1/16'' of the screen. any thoughts on what i should do?

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/400638837lHBGTW

I made my own, but one thing you can do is simply stretch the taskbar in windows (I assuming you are connicting a carputer to it) so that you can still get to the start button. You will lose a bit of the screen.

I did too... Followed a lot of what you did sebberry :)

See this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43014

http://members.optusnet.com.au/troyjl/carpc/DSC00839A.JPG

Guest *Jedimaster*
Don't go to any trouble for me- I think it's cool as hell, but my initial reaction was "I have to have one"! Like if it were in the store, I'd have whipped out the credit card and bought it. But honestly I don't know what I'd use it for- looks really cool though.

Dude- one of you guys should make one for me, since I know jack about it.

The easiest way to make one of these is to buy the stock MY06 NAV bezel. Subarugenuineparts.com has it for around $80 subaru part number is on darkfox's website.

I modified the plastic casing of my 7" widescreen by cutting off a couple of centimeters on the side and also the bottom. Then I epoxied the casing to the bezel. It fits width wise perfectly but height wise like seberry said, you have to extend the start menu because it cuts off a couple of centimeters of the screen. If you use Roadrunner as a frontend software for your carputer you can edit the skin to show in the visible part of the screen.

ok, i have road runner, but i cannot seem to figure out how to get it to work, show correctly on my screen, or where to put info to run mp3's, streets & trips, etc. anyone have a how to USE the software manual? LOL
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ok, thanks! :) i'll have to check it out. haven't had too much time to really play around with the silly thing. first off, i have to re-solder the wires for the IR sensor so i can switch my LCD from vga to a/v. trying to get my incar camera set up done so i don't have to have the PC running it for autox. if i can't get the solder to hold still, then guess i'll have to do streaming video for the incar set up. :(

Hi! beleive it or not we're actually going to be having a work session on our factory fit kit this weekend, barring any interruptions. Hopefully I'll have pics!

hang in there if you want to use the factory nav bezel for a 7" touchscreen, please :icon_mrgr

screen looks good there R6, nice fiberglass work. Good idea to offset it back in there too, leaving it up front can cause a little bit of a reflection.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

yup

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31607

theres the original writeup on it. It's been a long time, a lot longer than I expected, but certain parties involved have been uh... occupied, and I haven't been able to get done what I want. We almost had a working one back in April, but fundamental design flaws forced us to change it, now we're coming up on the 2nd design, and I'm confident this one will work. I'm hoping to test it this weekend.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Guest *Jedimaster*
yup

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31607

theres the original writeup on it. It's been a long time, a lot longer than I expected, but certain parties involved have been uh... occupied, and I haven't been able to get done what I want. We almost had a working one back in April, but fundamental design flaws forced us to change it, now we're coming up on the 2nd design, and I'm confident this one will work. I'm hoping to test it this weekend.

Neat- so will this have everything I need? Any idea of cost?

screen looks good there R6, nice fiberglass work. Good idea to offset it back in there too, leaving it up front can cause a little bit of a reflection.

Thanks Darkfox... :D I recall u mentioned in your design that it would be better if the offset was a little further back so I took your advice :)

Oh also its not fiberglass. Its mostly epoxy stick with some plastic putty. My bezel has now put on a few pounds :)

ya, unfortunately, with the way i had all the buttons rigged up, they were afraid to move it back... i have a power button that turns the PC on/off on the bezel itself. got it back up and running with the IR, but it would not quite fit in the spot i had before so it looks a little lame right now. :( guess i'll have to conjure up something to try and get it better looking than electrical tape. guess i keep going back to that. LOL.

darkfox, i kept waiting and waiting and just couldn't any longer. oh well... never know what you come up with, might end up going that route later. however, after i get the wiring redone (professionally this time), my stealth sub/amp in the rear hatch and last but not least, i'm wanting to install my 17" LCD in the trunk area too... :D why not, right? LOL

trd, you're not the only one... I've been trying to find a time to get everyoen together for far far too long on this. the more people invovled the harder it is to find a time thats good for everyone.. ARGH.

the kit we'll be selling will basically be just a set of instructions, an adapter and a custom pcboard. The rest of the partrs you'll buy yourself, we'll include part #s and locations to buy so that theres no extra cost to you in shipping or extra down time. As such, this will work for more people with more screens, and yeild a cheaper price. If we can get a group buy going once we have a final product, it will greatly reduce production cost, cos as you know, if you have to make a mold or a CNC layout or a PCboard layout, the more you make the less it costs.

just wondering if anyone can help.. I would like to build a carputer in my car. I already have a kenwood ddx-7015 in the factory cubbyhol;e place. I just need to know what kind of hardware or software should i pick up.

can anyone help me, pleae??

all i want is like e-mail, GPs and maybe MP3 player.

peace

JP

But honestly I don't know what I'd use it for- looks really cool though.

picture this: on a trip to the mountain when mrs. jedi tries to play her favorite music some pr0n shows up on the screen and there is no way to turn it off...

mrs. jedi: "wtf have i done???" :redface::eek:

jedi: "can't wait 'till we get home? :icon_bigg"

This Space For Rent

Guest *Jedimaster*
picture this: on a trip to the mountain when mrs. jedi tries to play her favorite music some pr0n shows up on the screen and there is no way to turn it off...

mrs. jedi: "wtf have i done???" :redface::eek:

jedi: "can't wait 'till we get home? :icon_bigg"

:lol:

I'll have a lot of info out when we're ready for that part, price, pictures of final product etc.

I dont know much about the kenwood screen system, if its not a touchscreen you're going to have to come up with some kind of controls. For something neat, I'd go with this gadget I found yesterday:

http://store.artlebedev.com/catalog/computer_add-ons/optimus-mini-three/

I gave myself a headache trying to find a way to use it in my project, but its just too big for me.

the EASIEST thing to do tho is to go to http://www.mp3car.com and check out their store for the VIA EPIAA ITX computers in the "ampie" carputer case. They can run probablly $400-$1000 depending on how nice you make it and it come with VGA and composite out so you wont have to worry about buying and powering a VGA to composite converter or running a tall hot videocard to do the conversion.

Theres a variety of frontends to use on your carputer, I use roadrunner but theres also mediacar and a bunch of others (no offense to the other guys, I just dont know the names cos I dont use em lol) as far as I know they're all free too.

you wont need to relocate your info center since you're using the cubby mount kit, so thats one expense you can save.

I dunno anything about this kenwood unit but if its a full function headunit, you wont need any kind of aux in like jazzy's mod either, so yours will actually wind up being a bit easier than some of ours.

hope that helps

thanks darkfox..

the kenwood screen is a touch screen.

if anyone knows anything about this kenwood can also chime in, please

thanks

The kenwood touchscreen probably will not work with a PC. Our touchscreens have a vga out and the touchscreen is controlled using USB.

Like darkfox mentioned you can connect the PC using a TV-Out on the computer's video card but it won't looks as good as it would on a vga monitor.

Archived