LegacyGT.com

what's the offset on the stock legacy wheels?

scubie02

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5'] I don't think anyone is consistently running +42 offset. Just saying that it would fit without any rubbing.[/quote] Ahhh, I see. That would depend on how wide the tire and wheel combination is though. 275/35 tires might rub the fender with the stock +55mm offset for example. I had a tire dealer put some +25mm wheels on my GTP once. They misheard me say that the factory offset was +52mm and ordered the wrong wheels. The funny thing was that I was sitting there with the wheels sticking out about 2" beyond the fender on both sides and they tried to tell me it looked good. :D I can't even imagine what the torque steer would have been like with those on! I'll be honest with you all. Changing tires and wheels is more of a hassle to me than it's worth these days. I might just be getting old but I'm of the opinion that a good tire close to the stock size on stock sized wheels is the best bet. This is already a [b]Plus Two[/b] configuration. It's not like the car came with 14" or 15" wheels and 70 to 80 aspect ratio tires from the factory like they used to. (Ive got 205/70-14's on my '78 Oldsmobile which was the "beefier" option to the 195/75-14 stock size.) Also, there is much more of the car depending on the right tire and wheel dimensions than there used to be. These days they are "tuning" the suspension for the wheels that come with the car more than they used to. I'm off my soapbox now. I just want to dissuade those that are sitting on the fence on this issue. If you know for sure you want to change this stuff, go ahead. If you aren't quite sure and don't know how the changes will affect the car, I suggest you save your money. :)

[quote name='Trent Bates'][quote name='BoxerGT2.5'] I don't think anyone is consistently running +42 offset. Just saying that it would fit without any rubbing.[/quote] Ahhh, I see. That would depend on how wide the tire and wheel combination is though. 275/35 tires might rub the fender with the stock +55mm offset for example. I had a tire dealer put some +25mm wheels on my GTP once. They misheard me say that the factory offset was +52mm and ordered the wrong wheels. The funny thing was that I was sitting there with the wheels sticking out about 2" beyond the fender on both sides and they tried to tell me it looked good. :D I can't even imagine what the torque steer would have been like with those on! I'll be honest with you all. Changing tires and wheels is more of a hassle to me than it's worth these days. I might just be getting old but I'm of the opinion that a good tire close to the stock size on stock sized wheels is the best bet. This is already a [b]Plus Two[/b] configuration. It's not like the car came with 14" or 15" wheels and 70 to 80 aspect ratio tires from the factory like they used to. (Ive got 205/70-14's on my '78 Oldsmobile which was the "beefier" option to the 195/75-14 stock size.) Also, there is much more of the car depending on the right tire and wheel dimensions than there used to be. These days they are "tuning" the suspension for the wheels that come with the car more than they used to. I'm off my soapbox now. I just want to dissuade those that are sitting on the fence on this issue. If you know for sure you want to change this stuff, go ahead. If you aren't quite sure and don't know how the changes will affect the car, I suggest you save your money. :)[/quote] If someone put 275/35 tires on their car...I want a picture..lol..:)
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Nice information, Trent. I think that a lot of people buy Subarus without realizing the difficulty posed by the marque's big offset. It's hard to find wheels that will fit perfectly, as in, as God and FHI intended. With the WRX, I ran Prodrive P1s, because those fit. Right offset, right everything...perfect. Unfortunately, people will, to get around limitations, jury-rig stuff. There was a guy running +45 offset wheels on his WRX, wondering why the car "felt funny." It was one of the funnier threads I'd seen on NASIOC at the time. Something that will fit and something that will work are two rather different things. Thankfully, the GT has such great-looking stock wheels that unless someone wants to go for 18s, I just don't see many people changing them. Kevin

I have nothing against the stock wheels--I think they look great. I just would LIKE a second pair of wheels if I am going to get dedicated winter tires, there aren't all that many used sets of the stock wheels around yet, and they are damned expensive from the dealer when I can get aftermarket ones for a fraction of the price. I suppose I could try some other all seasons (other than the re-92's which are pretty crappy in the snow) but I don't have alot of confidence in another brand being that great in the snow either. The Dunlop Sp Sport 5000's were about the best I used for snow I guess--others were quite inferior to snow tires.

I'm a big fan of dedicated seasonal tires myself. (I have a set of Potenza RE-730's and a set of Blizzak's for my GTP.) I also understand that breaking the tires from the rim is not desireable any more than it has to be done for tire wear and so on. Has anyone officially tried a 16" Subaru wheel on the front of a GT yet? I've read that a tire shop has claimed that it wouldn't fit but as I've alluded to earlier, Tire Shop people can't do anything the books don't cover. (Probably to cover their asses) I don't know what else to suggest at the moment. Perhaps a few of us need to dig in to this issue and see if there are any more options to be had. If I'm correct in what I suspect, stock 17" wheels from any contemporary Subaru should fit. If you find someone selling their stock WRX 17" or stock Outback 17" wheels, they could work. The Outback tires are bigger from what I've seen but the wheels looked to be the same size. The platforms seem to be similar enough that they have probably standardized all of them on the same wheel dimensions.

[quote name='Trent Bates'] Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure if 5x100mm is the correct bolt pattern or not. I would guess that it is though. (See, it's not like you can just go measure a 5 bolt pattern. You need to consider the arc between two bolts to get an accurate measurement.) [/quote] Actually, the way they measure bolt pattern is from the center to each lug hole. So for a 5x100 lug pattern, each hole is 100mm from the center. So the new 05 legacy and outback bolt patterns are 5x100?

[quote name='docsmile71'] Actually, the way they measure bolt pattern is from the center to each lug hole. So for a 5x100 lug pattern, each hole is 100mm from the center. So the new 05 legacy and outback bolt patterns are 5x100?[/quote] Well, not according to your statement above. :D Take a metric ruler out to your car and prepare to imagine what it would look like! :P Each lug hole center should be 50mm from the center. Is that what you were thinking? They measure the diameter of the circle that the bolt pattern makes. It's easy to measure a 4 lug wheel. Measuring the radius of a 5 lug wheel should work!

[quote name='Trent Bates'][quote name='docsmile71'] Actually, the way they measure bolt pattern is from the center to each lug hole. So for a 5x100 lug pattern, each hole is 100mm from the center. So the new 05 legacy and outback bolt patterns are 5x100?[/quote] Well, not according to your statement above. :D Take a metric ruler out to your car and prepare to imagine what it would look like! :P Each lug hole center should be 50mm from the center. Is that what you were thinking? They measure the diameter of the circle that the bolt pattern makes. It's easy to measure a 4 lug wheel. Measuring the radius of a 5 lug wheel should work![/quote] [url]http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/boltpatt.htm[/url] whoops...my bad. :? So is it 5x100?

[quote name='docsmile71'][quote name='Trent Bates']Take a metric ruler out to your car and prepare to imagine what it would look like! :P[/quote] whoops...my bad. :? So is it 5x100?[/quote] Yes, it appears to be 5x100mm from my informal measurements and from other posts I've read. (I had a car that was 4x98mm once. That's an impossible size to find!) Did you actually envision what the wheels would look like with lugs 100mm out from the center? :D I'm glad that you posted the radius concept because I'd forgotten that it could be used!

Archived