LegacyGT.com

Solution for warm air when A/C off and temp set low....

Daverino

I noticed a problem with the climate control that others have mentioned: when my thermostat is set at 65, the outside temp is for example 60, and I have the A/C off and the vent blowing outside air, warm-to-hot air comes out of the vents. I've managed to work around this by turning the A/C on until the air becomes cool, then turning the A/C off. This manages to keep the air temp down for the rest of my drive. I don't know how this might be fixing the problem, but it works for me. Anyone care to hypothesize why? Does it work for others? D

I solved this problem by turning the CC completely off, then hitting the fresh/recirc button until the fresh arrows are displayed (all other indicators are off). Voila- unheated fresh air. -Nick

I suspect the heater core is getting heat soaked. You turn off the engine after running for a while, let it sit for about an hour, and heat from the hot coolant gets transfered by thermal conduction into the heater core. when you start the engine, the heater core is hot and heats up the air for a while untill it cools back down to ambiant. Here I am guessing: I suspect the heat is turned on by a valve in the coolent line to the heater core. the plumming is all metal, and the pipes are as short as possible. Heat from the engine is always conducted through the plumming even when the valve is closed, but it won't get very hot when it is running because the heat transfer is not very fast and there is a lot of airflow to keep the core cool. when you stop however, the heat is still there, but the airflow is not, so the core heats up. The solution in this cas would be just to put long pipes between the heater core & the engine. You would still get heat when the valve was open, but the long pipes would slow the heat transfer when the valve was closed.

Archived