LegacyGT.com

Front Seat Belt Problem

dhawk

I had a loose part that rattles in the front passenger seat belt retractor and after the dealer replaced it 3 times, it still exists. I am not confident the seat belt will respond correctly in the event of an accident, but the dealer stated there is nothing they can do, that it is a design problem of the seat belt manufacturer.

Any thoughts on the next step are much appreciated.

Does this rattle happen whenever you go on rough roads and construction zones, as well as when changing lanes and going over the road turtles?

It makes it going over rippled pavement, especially right hand turns and the type of ridged pavement you find as you approach some stop signs and at the edge of some highways to "wake people".

It's also reproducible by moving the front passenger seat forward and rapping with your fist at the bottom of the pillar.

Sounds to me like it's the handbrake release button.

Hold your thumb on the button and see if the rattle goes away.

Get used to it.

:nono:

It was determined by the technician to be the retractor assy. It isn't so much the noise as something loose in the retractor assy. Although I'm definitely not an expert on seatbelt assy's, It's quite probable that loose parts can hinder the belts performance in the event of an accident.

We figured out the problem. My wife picked up the vehicle after she got off her night shift and when she arrived, she asked to look at the old retractor. She then saw something move inside and commenced to pull the cover off in front of the service manager who was a'gasp, parts 'a fly'n. She found out it uses a "ball and cup" sensor that is prone to rattling. The dealer confessed his rep told him Subaru uses a cheaper, but effective, retractor for the passenger side.

So, it can't be fixed, and there are no updated versions available. Fortunately, I saved some sound deadener and it's one more reason to justify a stereo install.

Archived