LegacyGT.com

Inaccurate Gas Gauge when on a Hill

I have an 05 LGT and my driveway is on a noticeable slope. When I start the car, the gas gauge is sometimes a 1/4 tank off. For instance today, I know the tank was full, but it was showing 3/4 tank. If it is in my garage (which is flat), I do not seem to have the problem. Has anyone else run into this?

My old Explorer used to do that. It was even worse than an inaccurate gauge though -- one time, I was driving and it read just a hair under 1/4 tank. I parked on a steep hill (we have lots of those here in Pittsburgh), facing downhill, and when I came back out the gauge was on "E" and the car wouldn't start. Luckily, no one was parked in front of me so I put it in neutral and rolled to the bottom of the hill. Started right up, and I headed straight for the gas station.

Yep, I have the same problem. When my tank is at the full mark and I park it at the girlfriends driveway that has a slope, it will read 3/4 full when i come back later. This only happens when the car is facing up, not when I back into the driveway. Weird. After driving awhile it slowly comes back up but I still feel like I was robbed because it never goes back to the full mark.

the best example i have of this is a rental car we had once upon a time. If you turned right, the gas gauge would go up significantly, if you turned left however it would go down just as much. It was hilarious watching it as we were driving through residential streets.

Hey! I just noticed my '05 Legacy accelerates slower going uphill and takes longer to stop going downhill. I'm not sure, but I think it won't go around corners as fast as it can go in a straight line.

But, that's not important. Under all the above conditions, my fuel guage is inaccurate!

Archived