LegacyGT.com

Anybody have Yokohama YK520's?

SoldonSubie

Time to put the SECOND new set of tires on the OB XT. I trashed the 92a's at 5,000 miles in favor of Pilot Sport A/S.

The Michelin's are fine, but I have three issues with them:

1) $200 per tire (at least).

2) They measure 27.1 inches vs. 26.8 or 26.9 inches for everybody else’s 225/55 17. Translation = they rub the inner wheel well when cutting the wheel for parking. Not a big deal but it is annoying.

3) I'll get about 24,000 miles out of them by the time I swap them out. Really not bad for the type of tire it is. However, I plan on keeping the car about another 30,000 miles or so and don't want to put ANOTHER set on in a few years.

So, Discount Tire has Yokohama YK520's that seem to be rated well. By Discount Tire that is. The problem they are only sold by Discount Tire, so I can't really compare them on Tirerack and such.

My other option is Khumo ASX.

Whatever tires I get need to be good in the snow. They don't really "clean" the roads here I am often driving on packed snow and ice.

The RE92's were dangerous under these conditions. The Pilot's are just fine in these conditions so snow tires aren't necessary.

Any thoughts?

I had the YK420s on my J30t and was very happy with them. This model was replaced by the 520. Same tire but newer model. They were very good all around and not bad at all in snow and the J is notorious for being bad in that condition. However, the 420s were only an "H" rated tire. I don't know the speed rating for the 520. The 420 made exclusively for Discount Tires were almost exactly the same as one of Yokohama's general market tires. If you can get pictures of the tread of the 520, you might be able to compare it to Yokos being sold on Tire Rack and get test results and reviews that way.

Vimy101:

Thanks for the response. The 520 is V rated. I tried to compare tread design but it appears that the 520 is somewhat unique.

Thanks again!

There was a little difference between the 420 tread and the stock Yoko as well. I'd buy them for my Spec.'s 18s" but they don't come in that size. I should double check to make sure.

Archived