LegacyGT.com

"Range" feature on the Navi System - Accurate?

jzirkel

Only 2K miles on my '06 SpecB, but I'm wondering what others have experienced with the "Range" calculation of available mileage based on remaining fuel. I can't get mine to go below 20 miles, even today when I refilled with 16.1 gallons in the 16.9 gallon tank. Anybody else? Does it go to 10 and then 0? When it says 0, are you on fumes? Thanks,

John

I haven't found mine to be very useful. Since it seems to only read in 10 mile increments, it's really not much better than the fuel guage or the low fuel warning light. When it says 20 miles remaining, then 10, then 0, it's just not that helpful... (BTW, I'm referring to '05 trip computer since I don't have the built-in Nav--but it seems you have the same accuracy/precision limitations.)

i've been that low before.. it goes down to 20, then it displays "--"

We were stuck on the highway in traffic on a road trip for about 45min with the display on "--" i cursed out my buddy that kept saying, "There's a gas station just over there."

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i've been that low before.. it goes down to 20, then it displays "--"

We were stuck on the highway in traffic on a road trip for about 45min with the display on "--" i cursed out my buddy that kept saying, "There's a gas station just over there."

Well, don't leave us hanging. Did you make it :confused:

I had a similar experience driving with my wife (in a Plymouth Laser) from Las Vegas to Denver. Her turn to drive, I fall asleep as we approach Green River, Utah and tell her to get gas. Somehow, she hears "don't worry about the gas" and we end up gas tank reading empty, sign says "No Services, Next 100 Miles". Fortunately, like many other aspects of that car, the fuel gauge was less than accurate. Made it, but ran out of gas and engine died waiting for the cars in front of me to exit the pumps at the gas station.

Strange how different Mfr's look at this. Had a Honda Pilot, you could go 50 miles with the needle bottomed out on empty. Previous car, Nissan Pathfinder, when the gauge touched "E", you were out...

John

Archived