LegacyGT.com

Delay untill starter kicks in

Cruusher

I have this 92 Legacy GL 4-door wagon. Used to be, as soon as the key was in and turned on, there was an immediate connection and it started fine. Now as soon as I turn the key to start, there is a delay for a few seconds before the starter kicks in and turns the engine over. All good connections to battery are good. Something about tapping on the starter itself seems to correct the problem. I just hope it's not some other electronic device.

..any comments?

Thank you,

Cruusher

It's probably the starter motor. Now on top of this, wife was driving in town 2 days ago when she turned a corner and it just died. Sounds like a Timing Belt. Thankful that this 2.2 engine is non- interference. Timing belt should be easy. All you have to do is set the crank....then line-up the cam gears. If this were my 77 Ford, I could diagnose anything immediately with easier access...lol

The reason why I suggested a new ignition coil was that was the issue with my boat starter. Tapping helped. The brushes inside needed to be taken apart and cleaned, but it was just as cheap to get a new coil.

I'm intrigued; what does the operation of the starter motor have to do with the ignition coil?

Archived