LegacyGT.com

07 specB 18"x8.5 rubbing

rallysquirrel

FYI

07' SpecB with SSR GT2's 18 x8.5" +48 offset rubs with Falken 452.

Time to roll my fenders on a car with less than 500 miles on it.

Rubbing:

Really bad with 4 people in car. Hit a bump and can't even make a turn without rubbing.

Not so bad with 2 people in car. Have to be going fairly fast around turn.

25.7" OD on RE050A

26.4" OD on Falken 452

overall increase of 2.7% OD.

Thanks for reminding me. I had done that research, but forgot about it when I went to buy, cause what stuck in my head was it being .4% off using tire size calc.

Did you reset the NAV when you put the larger tires on?

• 1 month later...

Update

No rubbing after I rolled fenders. Yeayyy.

After I put on whiteline RSB last Friday, I went for a sprited drive in the boonies at 10pm. I was in the middle of a long sweeping turn and THUMP, I guess I hit a pothole (I couldn't see what it was) and bent my front passenger FORGED rim. It's pretty wobbly.

That'll teach me. I'm glad I originally ordered 5 rims as they're now discontinued and if I can get 1 it's $450.

I was in the middle of a long sweeping turn and THUMP, I guess I hit a pothole (I couldn't see what it was) and bent my front passenger FORGED rim.

I've seen my share of bent forged wheels. Hit something hard enough... ;) Also, aren't the SSRs semi-solid forged, which isn't as strong as a forged wheel from Volk/BBS? Keefe can probably chime in here. :p

-Mike-

strong or not, show me a forged rim that can hit a curb straight on at enough speed and still have the ability to hold air and still be striaght, any rim will break.

strength also comes in many forms and factors (from spoke design to aluminum grade and quality)... SSRs have been fine for me throughout all sorts of driving, the problem that most rims get is the fact that people dont check their tire pressures or use incorrect tire sizing that doesnt support the load capacity of the car.

As technology moves on to reduce mass, forging and semi-solid forging was the way to go.. even today's casting technologies have improved, so it's really making a move. Some of the newer casted rims are still stronger than forged rims at the sacrificed mass. Remember, F=MA and if have enough mass, there's more total force involved, so the next weakest link in the whole scheme of things is the tire blowing out or getting sidewall bubbles.

Keefe

I saw (on this board), many reports of cast wheels crack, including stock LGT wheels.

I understand forged wheels can be bent, but they should be less if at all suseptible to cracking, no?

Archived