LegacyGT.com

Wierd noise when engaging first gear. HELP!!

Noticing a noise that seems to be coming from the tunnel (under the center console storage box) when I engage first gear. It does not happen when you are being "extra easy" on the car. I mean, if I engage first and just absolutely creep off the line, it doesn't do it. Uder normal driving conditions, where you have to get into first and get going (but nowhere near "racing") It make the following sound: It sounds like something is rolling and bouncing around in the console box. (obviously, the box is empty) I checked under the seat and there is nothing loose under there either. Man, there is just no way to really descrive this damn noise!! It only does it in first, and only while the clutch/driveline is engaging. Also, it seems to have gotten better (less noticeable) since I have been driving the car for a day and a half.

This is my first AWD vehicle, so I am not familiar with the standard "noises" associated with the driveline.

I bought the car used, so it has 37,000 unaccounted for miles. The car did have a new factory clutch installed recently. That tells me that whoever had the car before me either;

- didn't know how to drive a stick and burnt the clutch up

or

- they were extreemly hard on the car (lots of hard launching) and possibly put some slack in the driveline???

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

The clutch should operate like any other clutch. You have warranty time left on the drive train. Take it to a dealer and reproduce it for the service "advisor".

That was actually my next question. The car has a 5 yr / 50k powertrain warranrty that I will have transferred over to me this week. What all does that cover on an AWD vehicle?

Guest *Jedimaster*
It covers the drive train if the previous repair work is certifiable.

Does your Spec B do it? I heard the -7's (6 speed FTW!) are much nicer, drivetrain wise.

Guest *Jedimaster*
No. Does yours? Mine is buttery smooth. BTW what's a "-7"?

Meant to type 07. Nope, mine is smooth also- does the 06 Spec B just get a regular old GT trans? I thought it was something special? :iam:

Meant to type 07. Nope, mine is smooth also- does the 06 Spec B just get a regular old GT trans? I thought it was something special? :iam:

I believe it is generally understood in the car community that Subaru produces excellent transmissions. 12k posts, eh? Maybe you're just trying to be insulting? Naw. A guy with over 12k posts would definitely know the TOS rules.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I believe it is generally understood in the car community that Subaru produces excellent transmissions. 12k posts, eh? Maybe you're just trying to be insulting? Naw. A guy with over 12k posts would definitely know the TOS rules.

Settle down dude- I thought the Spec B got some kind of special tranny.

Wow, Jedi was being as "sincere" as he ever is and you're talikng smack while he's trying to be helpful?:confused: Hmmm... why ask a question if you don't want an answer?:(

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

no.

I dunno. There are precious few threads about failing trannies on this site. Clutch stink from some MTs and perhaps the "studder" thing might be associated somehow but other than those relatively minor complaints... not much. And you know what they say, "No news is good news".

Guest *Jedimaster*
Try the "search" function, Mr. 12k+ Posts. :icon_wink Lot's of good info to be found on this site.

Easy son-I read a lot of the posts on here- I must have gotten the 06 confused with the 07's.

Archived