LegacyGT.com

Rattles and Noises

legacy4me

Im not sure what others have noticed, but my drivers door, and passenger door rattle going over even slightly bumps. My trunk also rattles, possible spring loose that releases the trunk? I just bought my legacy in june. I love it, but these rattles are annoying, any advice?

The dealer is obliged to help you fix these rattles for the first 12 months/12,000 miles as part of your warranty. I would insist they be fixed to your satisfaction. You should not have to do this for yourself. Raise polite hell at your dealership.

Agreed on dealer servicing.

Also, be sure that for your passenger's side, you have the seat-belt "clip" properly positioned - either over the side bolster of the seat and/or properly rotated around to the correct side. Otherwise, it has a tendency to strike up against the B-pillar insulation/trim in that area, causing that annoying rattle.

Best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So far mine is rattle free except for one piece of trim at the outside corner of the windshield that seems a little loose and needs to be glued back down with some weatherstrip adhesive. Only very occasionally do I hear any noise from it, depends on the wind direction.

Your doors and trunk can be adjusted to get rid of the rattles and/or they can insert some additional padding in strategic locations.

I would advise you not to just mention it to the service writer at the dealership. Be firm, be insistent, make it plain this rattling is bothering you and you want it fixed. Dealerships don't like chasing down strange noises because it takes a lot of time and they think the customer may be just nitpicking. Take them for a ride if necessary to point out the rattles.

I have the same door rattles. Dealer has thrown foam insulation, padding, and grease at the problem. Nothing has worked so far.

If your dealer fixes yours, please tell us how they did it!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I went to dealer today for my first service, which was a $50 oil change? They were going to fix all the rattles, but that would mean I would be without the car for the whole day, and they werent giving me a loaner. So I had to reschedule for monday. Will these rattles be under warranty, they should right? When I was there they had just got a new shipment of 07 outback's in.

I went to dealer today for my first service, which was a $50 oil change? They were going to fix all the rattles, but that would mean I would be without the car for the whole day, and they werent giving me a loaner. So I had to reschedule for monday. Will these rattles be under warranty, they should right? When I was there they had just got a new shipment of 07 outback's in.

Abnormal noises are definitely a warranty item. I would think all the way to 3 yrs/36k. Cars aren't supposed to make those noises, its part of the B2B warranty I would think. Its not an adjustment like an alignment or whatever.

Keep us posted!

I had the same problem with my LGT, particularly when there were four people in the car. EVERY time I went to the dealer I complained about it, but no fix was provided. They tried ever thing.

After a close inspection of the door latches, I determined that the latch on the body had indications of abnormal wear on the top of the latch. I told the dealer to adjust the latch and that fixed it. The door also closes with a thump now and there is none of that annoying rattle when you close the door with the window rolled down.:icon_mrgr

Mechanics these days , sheeeeshhhhh!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I took my car into a detail shop today, to have some things done. They drove the car around back, adn told me that the noise I was hearing in the trunk area was either due to a SHOCK, STRUT, or SWAY BAR. Anyone heard of this problem? Makes a sort of a thud noise when I go over bumps. I will contact the detailer soon.

Archived