LegacyGT.com

Outback-to-Legacy conversion?

NSFW

I'm looking for a Subaru wagon with the 2.5 turbo motor, 5MT and the 'limited' package (leather seats, dual zone climate control, etc). The Legacy only had this combination available during of 05 model year, and there a zero of these for sale in my area. However there is a Outback XT Limited 5MT for sale.

So just how different are the two? I'd want to put in the Legacy suspection for sure (maybe something just a tad lower). The lower body cladding doesn't bother me. I kinda like the wheel arches actually. Then what's left? Anything significant?

It's not that I need pure Legacyness, I'm just wondering if there's anything about the Outback that I should know in order to make it perform like a Legacy. Like, is it just a matter of swapping struts, shocks, and springs, or does the Outback use different control arms & such?

Plan A is just to wait for a 05 to show up, but the idea of making my own 06 LGT 5MT (with bonus body armor) has a certain appeal to it. :)

Robinlsb: Why?

NALegacy: Thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

HeightsGTLTD: I am sure that the OBXT can be (already is) pretty cool, but that car, in factory form, is not for me. It's all about the amount of time I spend off paved roads (very little) a the amount of joy I get driving hard on paved roads (a lot). If those two were reversed, I wouldn't be asking this question. :)

Guest *Jedimaster*

True- I chose not to do the suspension mods, except for a swaybar and some strutbars. I actually like the ride height of the XT (not having to raise the car for oil changes FTMFW) and can live with the lack of handling.

I did go to Stage 2 TDC and the car is just a wicked beast. I'll be upgrading the brakes maybe next spring (couldn't see getting rid of brakes that aren't all the way used up).

Robinlsb: Why?

A "hybrid" suspension/brake system can be very difficult as well as expensive to build,tune and maintain. It you get an OBXT, build a fast OBXT (they can be lowered) but use parts designed for the XT.

There are some VERY fast and well handling XTs out there.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived