LegacyGT.com

How many bent stock '05 wheels are out there?

mcsquish

Very simple - straight stretch of road. Huge, intrusive cave-in/pot-hole on the side of the road. You can't see it from the pic but it's about 6-8" deep and washed out from the rain. Heading in the direction of travel from the pic and wind gust shoved me sideways into it. Not off the road, just through the pothole. Managed to miss it with the front end or at least kept part of the front wheel on the road, but the rear wheel didn't make it.

If the road was properly repaired, wouldn't have been any effect at all.

SBT

Wouldn't have happened if you had a sedan with a spoiler. You and your excessive speeds. :icon_cool

Wouldn't have happened if you had a sedan with a spoiler. You and your excessive speeds. :icon_cool

lol - You meant excessive wind speeds right? In the desert, prevailing winds of 40mph with gusts to 60mph are typical. Having a sedan with spoiler would have just pushed me down into the washout that much harder (what with all the down-force and all).

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

lol - You meant excessive wind speeds right? In the desert, prevailing winds of 40mph with gusts to 60mph are typical. Having a sedan with spoiler would have just pushed me down into the washout that much harder (what with all the down-force and all).

SBT

I dunno. Smaller vehicle profile coupled with amazing spoiler downforce might have kept you planted.:lol:

Count me in for 5, yes thats not a typo, FIVE bent stockers. I'd like to thank first and foremost my lord and savior jesus christ and the extremely well maintained NJ roads for bending my wheels like butter.

Now I put 4-5 more psi in all the tires to give myself a little more pothole cushion. So far it seems to have helped. I have to get larger profile tires though. These are ridiculous for stock wheels not to mention crappy soft sidewalled RE92's on top of that.

I noticed the Acura TSX runs 215/50/17's which looks a lot better of a choice for daily driving. They also fill the wheelwells better. I also dont want to hear the excuse "But there isnt many performance oreinted tires in a 215/50 size as compared to a 215/45." Who cares I rather have round wheels than take a turn 5-10mph faster. I guess thats just another reason why Honda sells cars like hot cakes. They actually research a little bit before they manufacture a new model.

Well, the only chuck hole that I have hit, I was turning into a "Menards" store so I was going around 15mph. I wasn't haling anything. It was a stock wheel, so I don't know. I run a couple psi over suggested. Load rating of the tire is whatever those high quality RE's are. lol.... I think it was around 75 degrees F. But that happened before I replaced those high quality RE's and I know it was not bent when I had the tires replaced. I think I know who hit something, but I can't prove anything. Any other questions??

How fast were you going? How much weight was your car carrying at the time? How much did that failed wheel weigh and what was it's construction and maker? What tire pressure were you running at the time? Load rating of your tire? Ambient temperature?

Enquiring minds want to know.

________

TRICHOMES

Forgot to post the pic of the MPS A/S tire that went with the wheel. Literally, went with the wheel. Sucker wouldn't hold air for shite. Less than 1/32 of tire wear too. 225 - 45 x 17" with 36 psi rear pressure.

SBT

1716293914_LGTTireInside(1024x768).thumb.JPG.12ac6611c200899cdc890f0a2f0e864d.JPG

Forgot to post the pic of the MPS A/S tire that went with the wheel. Literally, went with the wheel. Sucker wouldn't hold air for shite. Less than 1/32 of tire wear too. 225 - 45 x 17" with 36 psi rear pressure.

SBT

you know, that tire looks awfully familiar. My second week of living out here and that's the welcome I got...hit a rock, cut the weak sidewall and viola! instant flat in the middle of nowhere. Rock really wasn't that big either. Chewed up the rim, the cut through the sidewall protector part and lost air!!!:( and thus I found out that the RE92s are an endangered species, read that as a discontinued tire, when I attempted to roll up and buy one. Lucky for me the extended warranty roadside assistance covered most of the cost of a new RE92. I ate 1/32nds of tire wear.

Unfortunately, that tire was my nearly new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire that I'd put on as a set to replace my RE92As which took a piece of metal through the sidewall (very small piece of metal too) on Christmas Eve. Had to wait almost two weeks for the these tires to come from Georgia and Las Vegas IIRC.

Fortunately, I wasn't hurting for other cars to drive while I waited, but I was incredulous over how ridiculously fractured the wheel was, but less so over the "pinched" hole in the inside sidewall of the tire given how deep the bend is in the rim). The tire didn't stand a chance on this one.

SBT

That's why I carry full size spare. To make rotation easier, I do 6 wheel rotation. Extra cost (6th wheel), but worth it. The cost of extra tires is not really "extra", because I'll get 150% miles out of 6 wheel set...

That's why I carry full size spare. To make rotation easier, I do 6 wheel rotation. Extra cost (6th wheel), but worth it. The cost of extra tires is not really "extra", because I'll get 150% miles out of 6 wheel set...

Only way to go with AWD... And after this last episode of blown tire, went with full-size spare so at least I'm not running on the donut when I'm 130 miles from home.

SBT

I got one of those too:

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/leggy/blowout.JPG

SBT

I got one of those too:

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/leggy/blowout.JPG

Holy crap - WTH were you doing to that poor RE92? Looks like you were doing 6,000 RPM clutch side-step launches to get that kind of "twist" from the sidewall.

SBT

I was slowing down from a high rate of speed and the wheel felt more and more out of balance and when I turned into the corner, the steering was very light. I pulled over to the side of the road when I got the car under control/slowed down and that's what I saw.

I was slowing down from a high rate of speed and the wheel felt more and more out of balance and when I turned into the corner, the steering was very light. I pulled over to the side of the road when I got the car under control/slowed down and that's what I saw.

Try doing that in a RWD or FWD car...just another reason to love Subaru AWD, probably saved your life by keeping you heading in the intended line of travel. Other than feeling weird (loose), the car just continues to track.

SBT

• 1 year later...

Yet another cracked stock rim for me. The second one in 6 months. This time the rim lip got chipped and has a sharp edge that can eventually cause the tire to wear out.

Aftermarket rims such as Enkei or Motegi survive longer than stock rims and do the chip/crack less often?

Well I am also a "proud" owner of a bent wheel..... Totally my fault, I bounced the rear of the car off a curb on icy roads. My shop said it's bent latterly about 1/4". Oh well, I think I should start looking for some after market wheels.

They're tough enough, just don't stand up well to deep potholes (6" or more) with the low profile tires.

SBT

That's the key point about why the stock rims don't hold up well. My stock Yokohama's are 205/50's...I started running them at 38 psi instead of the recommended 33-34. That has already made a noticeable difference.

I'd rather go through a set of tires sooner than have to replace another stock wheel.

Noticed that even going over a parking lot entrance at too sharp of an angle & barely go over the curb...is enough to risk cracking the rim.

I've bent two.

They weren't bad, and they probably could have been balanced out, but my buddies mom tacoed one of her LGT rims pretty bad and bought a complete new set. I took the remaining three off her hands, replaced my two slightly bent ones and now have a full size spare.

That's a good idea, especially to use a full-sized spare. I had to run the temporary spare for a week while a replacement rim got shipped out. Not good at all for the suspension parts.

Archived