LegacyGT.com

fluttering sound

waverunner

i have a strange fluttering sound coming from car at around 3000rpms it seems to go away around 42-4500rpms. uppipe maybe? dont know car still runs strong and smooth and making good boost. when we installed uppipe used new gasket on up to turbo but reused old gaskets on up to exhaust manifold and manifold to block. could this be my problem, my buddy seems to think its post turbo as maybe a bypass valve or possibly the gasket we used when we added perrin tmic. kind of at a loss as to where to start. ordering new gaskets to start and will go from there, any suggestions, i know i am a idiot for not using all new gaskets when we did install,live and learn. thanks for any input guys . wave r:confused:

I had the same thing...if your making boost then its not a pre turbo leak....If your making power than its probably not a leak at all, instead its just you hearing alot more of the turbo noise due to the loss of the cat.. Make sure you also check the blue vacum t fitting under the intercooler, and checking the intercooler to throttle body hose the fitting may have come loose due to the quicker spool and more boost.

I had the same thing...if your making boost then its not a pre turbo leak....If your making power than its probably not a leak at all,

Actually, this is not accurate at all.

You'd be surprised at how large a pre-turbo leak (i.e. UP leak) can get before you even see a fall-off from target boost.

My UP was dangling only from the upper UP-to-manifold bolt - and the leak was so big that I was actually getting a "post-turbo leak"-type sound - and I was actually seeing my target boost of > 17 PSI. :eek:

This is actually quite common of a phenomenon.

----

..instead its just you hearing alot more of the turbo noise due to the loss of the cat..

As with the others here, I also agree that what you're hearing, waverunner, is more than likely a combination of what automaticsti cited above - increased turbo noise - plus normal wastegate flutter.

Typically, it's more noticeable as you just start tapping into boost - but increased engine noise (as well as road/exhaust noise) will conspire against your continued hearing this noise as the revs climb higher.

Make sure you also check the blue vacum t fitting under the intercooler, and checking the intercooler to throttle body hose the fitting may have come loose due to [deleted - incorrect] more boost.

^ This is a good idea - to secure this T-junction's threee hoses with either Zip-Ties or a dab of "Superglue."

However, if this was what's troubling you, you should have noted, as is represented in most cases, a decrease in overall driveability as well as an inability, again in most cases, to reach target-boost.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

thanks for the reply guys, so from what im hearing you think it is a normal sound,aside from the possible UP leak. i have ordered new gaskets and will replace them. could it be that i heard it barely at all after going stage2,then after i replaced stock IC with the perrin tmic i seem to hear it more. could this be because there is alot more air passing thru the perrin tmic than the stocker and it has just magnified the sound i am hearing.it dont bother me, just my wife asks me what that annoying noise is. i will check the t fitting under IC and zip tie everything in site and replace up gaskets,as i see it there is not much else i can do.thanks again for the advice! anymore input also is welcome.:icon_smil wave

• 3 months later...
i just did a stage 2 up/down install this afternoon, and i have the same problem(if it is a problem) its a wooshing almost like when i had a perrin short ram intake but not as loud, and the flutter you speak of. i am going to try replacing the gaskets as soon as i can get ahold of some to see if that helps. but again, i dont really knoww if it's an actual problem.

I got it after I put on my AVO tmic. Still stage1, though. Stage2 parts are sitting on the floor of my garage:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

its wastegate flutter, comon for stage 2 people since the waste gate is operating on the limits of its boost holding capabilities. the avo wastegate actuator will fix it or you could just deal with it limke most of us do.

you can fix the flutter with tuning, which you should be doing anyway if you've replaced the stock 9psi actuator with an AVO15psi actuator.

Archived