LegacyGT.com

Ticking from engine bay at 1500-1900 RPMs

Hey all, long time no post!

I posted about this some time ago, but I am posting about it again because I never got a definitive answer, and I've narrowed the symptoms down a bit.

Here's what's happening with my '05 5EAT LGT wagon, 15,000 miles, COBB Stage1

1. Pronounced and regular ticking sound coming from engine bay, starting at 1500 RPMs and continuing to 1900 RPMs, and then stopping abruptly. IE - "TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK" (About 3 ticks per second.)

2. The tick does not happen when the car is stationary- I can't get it to make the sound unless I am moving.

3. It does not vary in speed.

4. It happens when the car is hot and when it's cold.

I plan to take it in for service next week, but I'd love to hear any possible diagnosis, if any.

Thanks,

David

fuel injector?

Interesting, hadn't considered that.

Would that explain why it only happens while moving? (IE- The engine is under load.)

Maybe I could I could torque brake and see if it ticks under load when stationary....

this question came up at a legacy meat today but, the best thought on his engine was piston slap.

disconnect one injector at a time as the engine is running.

I can't do that, as it only happens when the car is moving.....

this question came up at a legacy meat today but, the best thought on his engine was piston slap.

disconnect one injector at a time as the engine is running.

learn fast dont we...:icon_bigg

and yes, he's prolly got somthing stuck on his tire if it only happens when he is moving.

learn fast dont we...:icon_bigg

and yes, he's prolly got somthing stuck on his tire if it only happens when he is moving.

Nah.

Again- it starts at 1500 RPMs, and the suddenly stops at ~1900.

It's mechanical in nature- and never changes tempo.

engine knock then perhaps...

I thought engine knock was basically impossible because of the ECU?

Also, I thought engine knock sounds like someone throwing stones around inside the engine bay- not a repetitive ticking sound?

It sounds a LOT like piston slap. In my 02 RS I had this if the engine was under certain conditions. It was a strange sound, but "perfectly normal."

It probably is changing frequency, but would be hard to distinguish or perceive the change in frequency if it's only happening between the range of 1500 and 1900 rpm.

Either way, there is no harm in asking when you bring it in for service. Keep an eye (or ear as the case may be) and pay attention to any other changes.

Archived