LegacyGT.com

bad sensor & blown cat in uppipe = first new turbo second

so im have been to the dealer three times now to change the sensor in the uppipe an then finally i was told that cat in the uppipe came apart an shot into the turbo so the turbo uppipe an sensor was replaces an it was been to days since it was fixed an now cel is back with blinking cruise an is making the same ticking noise like the cat is torn apart. i really hope it didnt **** up the turbo again but it pretty much sounds like it did. i was told it was the bov that is cause the cat to get fucked up. Has anyone else had this prob its driving me crazy...an also changing the uppipe to a COBB Inconel 625 Uppipe w/ EGT bung should deff stop this prob from happening i hope.

Did they replce your turbo, or just the uppipe? If they did not replace the turbo, they should have.

If your stock BOV was accientally venting to the atmosphere you will run really rich and that might cause the CAT converter to get eaten up quicker.

Do you have the stock BOV?

When most people get an aftermarket uppipe, they cap the EGT gauge hole and do not hook the EGT back up. They then put a 2.2k resistor in place of the sensor wiring to 'trick' the ECU. without a CAT converter, the EGT gauge in the uppipe is really of no great use. I think you can order an uppipe from COBB without the EGT bung.

Did they replce your turbo, or just the uppipe? If they did not replace the turbo, they should have.

If your stock BOV was accientally venting to the atmosphere you will run really rich and that might cause the CAT converter to get eaten up quicker.

Do you have the stock BOV?

When most people get an aftermarket uppipe, they cap the EGT gauge hole and do not hook the EGT back up. They then put a 2.2k resistor in place of the sensor wiring to 'trick' the ECU. without a CAT converter, the EGT gauge in the uppipe is really of no great use. I think you can order an uppipe from COBB without the EGT bung.

yep the turbo is new an the uppipe. i have a gfb bov which is 50/50 so u think thats causeing the cat to break apart inside the stock uppipe? an i have the cobb uppipe already which has the hole for the EGT gauge, im gunna see if the dealer will install it since they r gunna have to put a new one in an maybe even another turbo cause it sounds like its hitting the fins inside the turbo.

yep the turbo is new an the uppipe. i have a gfb bov which is 50/50 so u think thats causeing the cat to break apart inside the stock uppipe? an i have the cobb uppipe already which has the hole for the EGT gauge, im gunna see if the dealer will install it since they r gunna have to put a new one in an maybe even another turbo cause it sounds like its hitting the fins inside the turbo.

hopefully your dealer is cool and will actually install that. the 50/50 doesnt help... but it is better than 100% vent. I am not sure how long it takes to rip apart that cat converter if you only vent 50%. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this topic... but I am pretty sure that rich condition is what eats apart the cat.

Some people have had the stock EGT gauge break apart when they do not have a cat converter in the uppipe. The actual sensor breaks apart then makes it into the turbo. So just word to the wise when you decide to put the stock EGT gauge in. The dealer will def. put it back in. I plugged mine.

Yeah, I am aware once you are sans cat in uppipe using EGT probe does not make sense and is dangerous for the turbo.

Now, what about the "real" EGT probe for real EGT gauge that is normally installed in the headers? That one does not pose risk to the turbo?

Archived