LegacyGT.com

TechnoRide rates Subaru 14th most reliable car

SubieDriver

JD Power rates Subaru 14th most reliable car, based on reported problems. Tied with Chrysler and Pontiac.

Lexus: Most Dependable Vehicle (Again)

The article is a little muddy to wade through to get the first 13, but the slideshow clears up that group. They seem to have missed #17. They say Subaru, Pontiac, & Chrysler were tied for 14th, then list 18 - 37.

Here's the list from the article:

1. Lexus, 136

2. Mercury, 151

3. Buick, 153

4. Cadillac, 163

5. Toyota, 179

6. Acura, 184

7. Honda, 194

8. Jaguar, 210

9. BMW, 212

10. Infiniti, 215

11. Lincoln, 220

12. Ford, 224

12. Oldsmobile, 224

14. Chrysler, 232

14. Pontiac, 232

14. Subaru, 232

18. Mercedes-Benz, 240

19. Chevrolet, 241

20. Nissan, 242

21. Mazda, 243

22. Porsche, 248

23. Hyundai, 253

24. Dodge, 258

25. Mitsubishi, 260

26. Jeep, 264

27. Volvo, 272

28. Audi, 279

29. Mini, 280

30. Isuzu, 283

31. Saturn, 289

32. Volkswagen, 299

33. Hummer, 307

34. Kia, 310

35. Suzuki, 318

36. Saab, 326

37. Land Rover, 438

First sentace states that is the JD power survey... JD Power = garbage :p

Oh yeah, I overlooked that little detail.

JD Power reports INITIAL quality, not REAL quality.

Consumer Reports offers more reliable information.

My '98 Legacy GT, with 145,000 miles on it, still feels just as solid and rattle-free as it did when I bought it (at 58,000 miles).

Subarus are solid, and they stay solid over the life of the vehicle.

Lexus owners get free sh**t and monthly phone calls after buying new cars. I bet thats a big reason why people rate them high on initial quality.

Their service centers are much better than most brands too. A lot of people will buy Lexus for the whole experience, not just the car itself.

Maybe Buick and Mercury cars are up there because they aren't selling! Who are you going to ask if hardly anyone drives their cars. If you take that into consideration that makes Toyotas and Hondas result even more amazing :)

yeah, but how do buick and mercury sales compare to subie- i bet they are as plentiful or far moreso than ours.

i'm actually amazed/bummed that several American makers were REPORTEDLY more reliable. no one can beat lexus, that's for sure. i figured acura and infiniti would do well to. cadillac reasonable. the parent companies to the above lux brands as well. but losing out to any of those other brands, even the German ones? what ever happened to that "most reliable car" ad that lives in every Subie showroom.

yeah, but how do buick and mercury sales compare to subie- i bet they are as plentiful or far moreso than ours.

i'm actually amazed/bummed that several American makers were REPORTEDLY more reliable. no one can beat lexus, that's for sure. i figured acura and infiniti would do well to. cadillac reasonable. the parent companies to the above lux brands as well. but losing out to any of those other brands, even the German ones? what ever happened to that "most reliable car" ad that lives in every Subie showroom.

I think part of it is the fact that Subaru owners really know their vehicles well, and know when something isn't right, so we're more likely to let the dealer/surveyor know about it.

Most owners of American brands just buy it as as transportation device, and, since the '70s established such a low standard for American cars, those people now think they're getting great cars. Technically, they *are* great compared to the same cars 20 or 30 years ago, but they're still behind the Japanese. Those kinds of people don't even bother to notice anything not American.

For myself, after owning several Japanese cars (Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Subaru), I then owned a Pontiac Grand Am - what a piece of junk. Comparing the Grand Am to my Supra, Camry, Civic, GLC, and Justy (which are small cars, except the Supra (Camry was '87 - sorta small)), the build quality disparity was enormous! The longevity difference was different too. Yes, the Grand Am still drove moderately well after 100K miles, but interior pieces were falling off, window switches broke, headliner sagged, etc.

The headliner on GM cars always seemed to sag in the '80s and '90s. They must have used poor glue to hold it on.

After moving from the Grand Am to another Civic ('97), and then to my second Subaru ('98 LGT), I've never looked back. I'm now on my third Subaru ('05 GT 5-spd), and plan on sticking with them, as long as they keep making exciting cars.

Subaru has earned my loyalty.

1. Arent Lincoln's notorius for stupid electrical problems?

2. My mom's 99 RX300 has had its front muffler replaced, 2 oil leaks repaired, one squeaky steering wheel, and one faulty tailight. Not that great in my book. My sister's '03 Corrolla has never had a problem.

I do not care about "initial quality" surveys. I care about the reliability of my car over its life up to 150-175k miles.

I have owned many subarus, 4 of which I owned since new. All had a few problems that were covered under warranty, and I drove each of them to the above referenced mileage without many repairs. That is my definition of reliablity.

Oh yeah, I overlooked that little detail.

JD Power reports INITIAL quality, not REAL quality.

Consumer Reports offers more reliable information.

My '98 Legacy GT, with 145,000 miles on it, still feels just as solid and rattle-free as it did when I bought it (at 58,000 miles).

Subarus are solid, and they stay solid over the life of the vehicle.

Krzys,

I was referencing the above reply in my post, not necessarily this article specifically. I didnt read the article. Sorry I didn't quote the reply.

Krzys,

I was referencing the above reply in my post, not necessarily this article specifically. I didnt read the article. Sorry I didn't quote the reply.

When I read through the article, it started with "... the 2006 Vehicle Dependability Study" and made the assumption that it was about 2006 vehicles. I see it later states that the survey was for owners of 2003 cars.

My mistake. Apologies all around.

I still stand by my comment that my '98 LGT, with 145,000 miles, is still just as bulletproof as it was when I bought it, and I haven't treated it gently.

Tim

Archived