LegacyGT.com

Upipe Install Question

I searched and i couldnt really find what i needed for the up pipe install, I know alot of you have done it, i was wondering if you needed to remove one engine mount bolt and jack up the engine to remove the factory uppipe, if some one could tell me that would be great..also how long it took you to do the install.....

by the way.. I already have my cobb DP installed.

there is a walkthrough somewhere around on the board which is pretty good. n need to jack the engine or remove engine mounts. just take the egt out of the UP before you rmove the up from the car and it will fall right out.

Whether or not you need to jack up the engine (by removing the engine-mount bolt/nut) seems to be a *unique-to-vehicle* (i.e. "your" LGT versus "his" vs. "mine") type of situation.

Some have been able to get their stock UP out relatively easily without jacking the engine.

Others - myself included - have found this impossible no matter what was tried, and had to resort to jacking the engine.

It's something to prepare for, so that you can do it *if necessary*.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...

I had to:

1. Remove the downpipe.
  2. Attempt to remove the exhaust manifold but even with it completely unbolted it wouldn't come out so I had to...
  3. Loosen the egt. I found you don't have to take it all the way out. Just loosen it and then twist it to a different angle and the uppipe will come right out.

You can attempt to use a crowsfoot on the 2 nuts under the downpipe if you want to try to avoid removing the downpipe. While I was trying to locate leaks after the install I was able to get them tightened without removing the downpipe. Oh yeah, removal of the intercooler is optional but will free up a little room. I myself left it on and was perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...

My up-pipe removal...

- Unbolted and removed the DP

- Unbolted the UP from turbo

- Unbolted the UP from the exhaust manifold (header)

- Removed the EGT sensor from the UP. (There is one sensor also going to the exhaust manifold, so make sure you know the difference)

- Unbolted and removed the exhaust manifold from the block.

- The up-pipe takes some manuvering and some man strength to get it out but I was able to get it out without jacking up the engine.

Make sure that you use fresh gaskets when bolting everything back together. You don't want to bolt everything back together and discover you have leaks like I did!!!

Archived