LegacyGT.com

what exactly can i do?

Elkboy

Well, you probably have the old EJ22. Borla made a header, and you could use virtually any Legacy 2.25" exhaust, not sure on the intake side. However, you really aren't going to gain much. My advice, save up for a later GT w/ 2.5L (97+) or get a used WRX. I'm not really sure what your budget is, but I'd say just stick with handling mods, they'll be more rewarding in that car, otherwise, you'd have to stick a good chunk of change in to get any sizable results.

Junk Yard EJ22 turbo - original engine for the first generation turbo Legacy. I have a 90 wagon and have one of these engines in the kitchen waiting to go in. You can get these for as low as $500. Mine's got 86k mi and is brand new inside - crosshatching on cylinders, no wear to valve train, etc. These engines are much better than the WRX engine. It is closed deck and larger displacement. Rods and crank are forged steel and even the cast pistons are of good quality. The block was designed for 400+ HP from pre-300 HP restricted WRC days. They stopped building this type of block due to expense around 1996. Early Imprezas and overseas Legacy/Liberty used 2.0 liter 4-cam versions of this motor (USDM is only SOHC, but at least its non-interference). It would probably be cheaper than a whole new exhaust and an intake of questionable value for the N/A motor. Steve

As long as you get the whole wiring setup, ECU and such, should be alright. As EVO mentioned you can pick the up for cheap, just make sure you have all the parts if you do it. Otherwise it could turn out to be a nightmare.

Wiring is not an issue. Usually at the JY, you get the throttle body to turbo (or with turbo in my case). This will more than likely have the fuel lines and wiring harness with it. You would want to get the turbo ECU, though, or go stand-alone. There are only two wires from the N/A harness that can be switched at the ECU. You will also need a fuel pump of higher capacity, either turbo, WRX, or some other aftermarket although I think the WRX pump operates at variable pressure unlike the Legacy turbos - I don't know if that's a problem or not. It's about the easiest swap to do. I'm doing mine and getting an AWIC so it looks like a regular L wagon with some cheap alloy rims... SCC did a swap a WRX drivetrain article, but completely ignored this engine. Good, we can save them for the Legacies and let the ricers get shown our taillights. :twisted: Search bbs.legacycentral.org for plenty of write ups on these swaps. Steve

I think the reason SCC ignored this swap is because so few of them are out there to swap, and secondly, few know of it as it initially makes less power than the WRX. It's been mentioned though in their mags in at least a couple articles IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Anything stronger would be hydraulic clutch, so you'd have to upgrade to that, but WRX transmissions are cheap. Make sure you get a matching rear end if you don't have a 3.545, though. There are import transmissions, too. Legacy turbos are hard to get. The majority seem to have been autos, but they have a 3.9 FD. Steve

• 5 months later...

Archived