LegacyGT.com

So the brakes work well.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
On the way home I was cruising along, not really paying attention and there was a deer in the road. So I did what anyone would do- screamed like a girl and jammed those binders on. The thing barked the tires and stopped on a freakin' dime! I swear that after that the car seems to stop better!

Probably did a good job of cleaning the glaze off the rotors. You'll probably see good bite for several more thousand miles and then you'll want to do it again. I realized this after my first (and only so far) autocross. Now go clean the "glaze" off your seat. j/k. Glad they work as advertised and that your OBX is untarnished. Did it flat-spot the tires? Annecdotally, my dad and I were driving home one night after a H/S football game and the roads were sheer ice (NW PA - rain and freeze on a dry road so what you had was thick clear ice). We were in his 1965 3/4 ton Ford F150 4x4 PU which had the heavier 1 ton suspension under it and had a lot of ground clearance. We are just creeping along in 4WD when a huge buck leapt into the middle of the road right in front of us. At that point we had no traction and neither did the buck. It was a scene right out of a slow-mo movie segment. As we slid up against the buck, the buck went down and right back under the front axle. It was on its side and with its big rack, couldn't get untangled. We continued to slide along for another 15-30 feet all the while this gawd-awful banging and clanging from under the front of the truck. When we come a semi-stop, "semi" because the deer was pawing away like crazy trying to get out from under the truck and was slowly "dragging it sideways toward the edge of the road. Dad got out, he was hand-over-handing all along the truck, reached into the bed and got out his 4 lb ballpeen hammer and made toward the front of the truck, which is still moving sideways. Dad's idea, in retrospect, was just crazy. He was going to bean the deer enough to stun it, drag it out and let it go (at least that's what he told me at the time - me thinks he really intended to send it to the freezer). Meanwhile, the buck is making progress in getting closer to the edge of the road and just about the time that Dad hauls back to peen it, the buck gets its front paws on the edge of the road (we've covered about 15-20 feet across two lanes of traffic by this point) shakes its antlers loose from the steering gear and hauls himself out from under the truck. Let me tell you that when he stood up, all I could see over the front of that truck (I'm still inside watching and praying for Dad - that's praying with your eyes open), was deer. Remember this is a really high 4X4 and the deer's shoulder was still taller than the front of the truck. This thing was a huge white tail, probably would have dressed out at 350 lbs and was at least 14 points. Massive rack and thick as your wrist. You would have thought it was a young bull elk if you didn't know better, it was that big. Apparently he'd had enough excitement for the night and with one jump was off the edge of the road and just before he made tracks, he stopped and turned around and looked at my Dad as much to say, "Let's not do this again," and then in a flash he was gone. My Dad laughed all the way home. That was 37 years ago and I still remember that horrible feeling of knowing that you were going to hit the deer and vividly recall the noise (especially the noise). Moral of the story - drive safe, watch for and be prepared for deer, and learn to use your ABS, before you have to. And if you're lucky enough to pin a deer down, uninjured. Leave it to Nature to work it out. She usually does. SBT - sorry for the long post
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='jedimaster']screamed like a girl[/quote] I almost shot soda out of my nose reading that! Glad to hear it came out ok. That kind of thing will definately wake you up. I remember following my wife from Ohio to Virginia and watching her hit a patch of black ice. My heart sunk as I watched the rear end of her car swing out and then seeing the headlights come around. She did a full 360 on the highway and came to a rest on the shoulder. I was freaked out and trying to make sure she was ok, while she was pissed and stomping around cursing.

[quote name='jedimaster']On the way home I was cruising along, not really paying attention and there was a deer in the road. So I did what anyone would do- screamed like a girl and jammed those binders on. The thing barked the tires and stopped on a freakin' dime! I swear that after that the car seems to stop better![/quote] omg you would have definately been pwnd if you were on RE92s!!!111 :o Aren't you glad you upgraded? :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
I actually did let out a loud "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" as I hit the brakes. All I could think of was "Am I going to be making a thread about an accident? Are they going to tell me what an excellent opportunity this is to get a JDM bumper?" :lol: I was impressed with the ABS on this car- not at all like the jittery system on my WRX. The tires locked up for a second and then it stopped flawlessly- stayed in a nice straight line and all that.

[quote name='jedimaster']I actually did let out a loud "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" as I hit the brakes. All I could think of was "Am I going to be making a thread about an accident? Are they going to tell me what an excellent opportunity this is to get a JDM bumper?" :lol: I was impressed with the ABS on this car- not at all like the jittery system on my WRX. The tires locked up for a second and then it stopped flawlessly- stayed in a nice straight line and all that.[/quote] :lol: I knew you'd be thinking that, as we all would have!

Whew! Man, that's one of my biggest fears here in Or. Just a couple of weeks ago I was passing an Escalade heading up the south side of Mt. Hood and all of a sudden the Escalade is on the binders. I'm thinking he was just freaked out by me passing him (you know how some people hit the brakes like that when you pass?) when lo and behold two huge wild turkeys are barely clearing my roofline! If I'd had an XT I'm sure I'd still be eating turkey sandwiches. :D

[quote name='Rimfaxe']Wow, That deer story was too much! It does read a little like a 'Darwin Award' though. Sounds like a good way to get a hoof in the 'ole snot-locker.[/quote] You had to know my Dad. Quick on the uptake, fearless as the day is long and as humble a person as you'd ever want to meet. And he wasn't prone to crazy stuff... at least all the time that I knew him, just a calm, rational individual. So, in his thinking somewhere, he had assessed the risk and figured that he had a mitigation strategy... In this case, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. There would have been no way for the two of us to get that thing in the back of the truck (besides the >400 lb deer, we never would have been able to stand up), and I know he wouldn't have left it there. That would have been fundamentally wrong and a waste of perfectly good gift. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
The brakes do indeed work well. On my way home from work this evening, merging onto a busy freeway around 5pm, going about 55 with a van maybe two car lengths in front of me, peek over the left shoulder before merging, look forward and see lights. Van has slowed down to about 25 and isn't merging. I slam on the breaks, and by the time I hit I'm doing about 5mph more than his car and didn't do too much damage. [url]http://www.striker2000.com/pics/IMG_0159.JPG[/url] [url]http://www.striker2000.com/pics/IMG_0160.JPG[/url] [url]http://www.striker2000.com/pics/IMG_0161.JPG[/url] I'm pissed about the bumper damage, but relieved by the stopping power. I had so little room to work with and the brakes slowed me down immensely before making contact, car stayed perfectly straight. And yes I do have summer tires on, and am glad I do.[/url]

Yup a couple of big stops will always help the brakes to bed in a little better and take any of the rubbish that may have built up on them. Just make sure if you are going to do this that no one is behind you. Great story.... Adam.

Archived