LegacyGT.com

Ripped Off??

Workinearly

I bought a new 2006 Outback XT from Subaru of Jacksonville. Paid about $8000 under MSRP/freight/prep for it. Dealer said that it had very minor paint damage from wind storm. Damage limited to one front quarter. No structural damage or dents. Paint repairs are invisible and car is beautiful. Had to waive the factory paint warranty to which I said OK.

Now the rub.... I got the application for title from the Florida MVR and it states that the car will have a SALVAGE title:mad:. I immediately called the "assistant sales manager" who had no answers. There was NO mention of such a thing when the sale was made. Waiting on a call from the general manager. It's gonna get ugly if there is no way around the salvage title business.

Any thoughts or advice??

Refuse it. The fact that it has a salvaged title should of been disclosed to you at time of purchase.

$8k under invoice is nice, but resale of the car is shot with a salvaged title. Not to mention all the headaches you might endure down the road.

Best of luck.

- The Mortgage Man

That sounds shady. A bunch of windstorm damaged cars were sold, even to members on here. However, they had a used title, but not salvage!

Friend of mine at work bought a Tribecca with an USED tittle, not a SALVAGE one, and the damage was the same, paint/wind damage....

This is scary man, be careful, and hire a lawyer, you will need it if they don't take your car back...

Worse comes to worse, they should have disclosed this PRIOR to signing papers, because your VIN is already in the system who belongs to a salvaged car....

Good luck,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

honestly one thing i hate about this country is all the sick people living here suing the crap outta good people and financially ruining them...........but in this case...take advantage of this "wonderful" judicial system we got and hire a lawyer...not just any fool wit a degree but spend your money....do your homework...and do this dealership dirtier than they did you....this is 20,000++ we're talking here...not a few dollars....they didn't care about you now you be the one to win because they sure thought they got you when they sold the car....so go talk to a good lawyer...and find out if you can actually make out nicely on this....oh and sorry to hear about your situation (you seem pretty calm about it though)

Wanna know the real kick in the nuts? Manufacturers usually will not warranty a salvage vehicle.

There's no way they can make you keep it.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

So they won't warranty it and theres no way they can make you keep it? If they can't make you keep it whats the point of a warranty on it?

???

There are two seperate statements above:

1. Sucks for you (original poster) if you want it. It probably has no warranty.

2. There's no way they can make you keep it. As in, you (original poster) think you may have been ripped off. Since the dealer did not disclose the salvage title, there's no way they can make you (original poster) keep it.

Hot cocoa and hugs for everyone.

this might be far fetched, but since they had you sign papers that there is no paint warranty on the car, I would go back and read through what you signed... it would not be a big surprise if it mentioned bumper to bumper warranty being declined - and by signing it, you may have acknowledged/agreed to the terms. keep us updated of the progress.

Manufacturer's will not honor warranty or even recalls to the vehicle.

My Dad bought a salvaged 2002 honda accord with a salvage title and got a great deal. the dealer would not do anything under warranty and let him know that any recalls/tsb's would not be performed for free.

Well, here's a contrary opinion. If, you drive the car until it's junk (I tend to keep cars for 8 - 10 years), there's basically no resale so a salvage title would not necessarily be a problem.

Now, lack of warranty for other than the fender and potential for having to pay out of pocket for recalls would be troubling in my mind.

Sounds like you got badly surprised which, does not make this a good deal for you.

You need to do a Carfax to find out what really happened to this car. It sounds like a hurracane car and it was flooded. It should not need a salvage title unless the car was totaled by the insurance company. Wind damage will usually just require paint unless a tree fell on it.

Finally heard from the sales manager today. He said it was all a misunderstanding and the car will NOT have a salvage title and it is being sold to me as a new, not used, car. Have paperwork to prove it. As I mentioned in my original post, the paint warranty is null and void but I'll take that in exchange for the savings. This is my first Subaru BTW. I wanted an AWD car to get up the driveway at my house in the maountains. My '05 F-150 was killing me on gas and the outback seemed a logical replacement. Almost bought a Honda Element AWD but my wife thinks that they are, well, unattactive.

Thanks to all who responded. Glad to know where to come with questions.

Finally heard from the sales manager today. He said it was all a misunderstanding and the car will NOT have a salvage title and it is being sold to me as a new, not used, car. Have paperwork to prove it. As I mentioned in my original post, the paint warranty is null and void but I'll take that in exchange for the savings. This is my first Subaru BTW. I wanted an AWD car to get up the driveway at my house in the maountains. My '05 F-150 was killing me on gas and the outback seemed a logical replacement. Almost bought a Honda Element AWD but my wife thinks that they are, well, unattactive.

Thanks to all who responded. Glad to know where to come with questions.

Sounds good. Hope it all works out OK.

It's weird thought that your application says salvage and the dealer now says that it won't be. Make sure that you get everything in writing from the dealer and SOA for your warranty. Refuse to take a verbal, "Oh yeah, it's all good" as proof. If they actually made an insurance claim to have the wind damage repaired, it doesn't really matter what the dealer says for the title since the insurance company will report it to the state.

I almost bought a Forester XT that had the carpet replaced due to some water damage and everything had been fully repaired and tested. Supposedly the water level had risen to the door sill height and there had just been some leakage. It was a 2006 XT Limited for $17k sold as new, but the flood mark on the title (because they had claimed it on their dealership insurance) meant there was no warranty so I just couldn't do it even though there probably never would've been a problem.

Archived