LegacyGT.com

For those with STi UP

jsalicru

I had an interesting find today.

I've been living with the nastiest of leaks for some time now on my UP (or I assumed my UP at the time). It seemed a little odd because it sprung up some 2 months after I installed it.

I've had random problems ever since I installed my Perrin headers. RIGHT after I installed them, the heatshield broke loose from the UP... so to remedy it, I decided to take the heatshield off.

Aparently this was not a good idea. My UP BROKE in the flex section. Out of plain coincidence, I had socalsleeper's Crucial UP sitting here in my garage and to top things off, he stopped by to help and keep me some company. Well, his UP is now on my car :lol:

http://web.mac.com/jsalicru/iWeb/CarPages/Up%20Failure_files/IMG_2886.jpg

One more thing... keep a good eye on the oil feed banjo bolt.. we found mine leaking (I have never touched it).

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

so do you contribute your STI uppipe failing/breaking to the fact that you removed the heat shields?

you think your STI uppipe would of failed if the heat shields stayed on??

~Sucka-Duck~

so do you contribute your STI uppipe failing/breaking to the fact that you removed the heat shields?

you think your STI uppipe would of failed if the heat shields stayed on??

I'd say it happened due to the removal of the heatshields. They act as a support to a certain extent.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Could you hear the leak or were you noticing low boost levels?

<<< Has the STI pipe

Oh, it sounded like the leak from hell. It started out as something small and worked it way to a large leak within a week's time.

taking that heat shield off must have been a bitch :icon_wink

Yeah, its certainly something I wouldn't wish on anyone to have to do.

Wow that sucks. I hope this doesn't happen to mine, but I didn't bother to remove my heatshields. OTOH, glad the Crucial worked out? Was this install a PITA?

Installation was smooth for me. No real issues.. took the time to torque things twice, but everything seemed alright.

I don't think I told you about psucaptainkickass.. the leak.. was all in his head.. the Crucial NEVER leaked :lol:

I had the STI UP on my REX for 2 years. The heatshields are a notorius source of rattles. The HS's on my UP were loose to the point that they could be moved up and down by hand. After I went in for a catless DP, I had my guy weld the HS's back in place. Well within a month they were loose and rattling again. I drove the car like this for over 2 years (so annoying) Well now I am having them removed now that it's going on the LGT. Since I drove for so long with the HS's loose, I can't imagine that they offer any stability to the pipe. It was probably just your pipes time to fail The only thing I could think of is if water might be able to get right on the UP when it's real hot and affect it in some way...

LG

^^^

Its true. My old STi has a loose UP heatshield and I'm guessing its been like that for a couple of thousand miles. I had this intermittent rattle when I had it and they new owner would get it too.. when I installed a TBE on the car a couple of weeks ago I shoot it around and sure enough, it was loose.. the funny part is that it hasn't rattled again... even though its loose.

You are right though, it simply could have been my pipe's time... also, like I said, I started having issues with it the moment I started the car with the Perrin header.

Archived