LegacyGT.com

ECU/ECM Re-flash by dealer...?

Anyone have this done? I was at the dealer yesterday for an oil change and mentioned that my 2005 Outback XT bucks a little bit in the lower gears and has stalled many times when moving off in 1st gear with minimal throttle application. They told me they had a reflash available that might fix that so I went for it. Well, no more bucking so far and better move off in 1st. However, the car feels slower; delayed "pull" on moderate to heavy throttle application and a feeling of less overall torque. What's the scoop with this reflash?

Dave

Search around a bit for the terms "stuttering" and/or "studdering."

This is Subaru's attempt to "cure" the known stuttering/studdering that plagues a certain portion (exact numbers/proportion is a huge unknown) of '05 LGTs.

So far, reports from those in our LGT enthusiast community whose rides suffer from said "stutter/studder" problem is that this deSubaru reflash sometimes works - but a not insignificant portion of those who have had this done also report that their problems persist, and are either present again outright or gradually rears its head again.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm one of the few that HAVE been impressed with the factory reflash for the stuttering issue - although my stuttering wasn't too bad to begin with. (Brought mine in because the CC would kick 'off' occasionally.) If you don't have many miles yet on your reflash you need to give the ECU a couple hundred miles to 'learn' your driving habits - that might help.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Do aftermarket reflashes have better success or does the computer learn to screw things up again?

^ Typically better chances of success (as defined by the numbers here who report back "success") - especially with a custom-to-vehicle tune by a respected tuner.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Typically better chances of success (as defined by the numbers here who report back "success") - especially with a custom-to-vehicle tune by a respected tuner.

Would that be a "mail-order" tune or a dyno tuning session? Is that tuning of the stock ecu or with a chip/piggyback?

With our LGTs, reflashing of the ECU is more popular than either "chipping" or using a piggyback, but the latter two may be viable options as well.

And yes, I included "mail-in" custom tunes as a part of my statement. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I too have had the subaru reflash done to my car, and had similar experience to yours. My response is essentially the same as TSI-WRX's first reply to your original post. I didn't really notice a loss in power as you indicated, but the reflash didn't cure 100% of the problem either. The really severe bouts were squelched, but there was still some elements persisting, particularly after the computer has some time to 'learn'

I have noticed that the stuttering is worse when it is hot and humid. Us New Englanders are likely to see some relief from that soon!

TDC tunning's stage 1 map advertises to cure the problem as well. I took the plunge about 5 weeks ago and purchased an accessport with their map. TDC's fix is FAR superior. Driveability of the car improved overall. The stuttering does seam to come back a little after 'learning', but not nearly as severe as either the original OEM or 'fix' maps.

I hope this helps!

I just don't understand how the ECU could re-learn how to screw up? The reflash should dictate all the parameters for A/F management. If you were trying to fool the ECU with a chip I could see adaptive learning kicking in eventually.....Was your TDC tune designed to add power as well?

My TDC tune was designed to add power and torque, as well as correct the stuttering and other drivability issues. It is the standard stage 1 tune, as my car is otherwise stock. It also has more power at lower RPM's (2K), such as when you are pulling away in 2nd gear from a near stop. These types of things are better than before.

I have no idea how the learning process works. TDC said the stuttering was a 'timing issue'. They have made adjustments to the timing parameters in the map to improve things. Timing may be a variable that changes with the learning process. I don't think anyone really has a full understanding of the issue yet, including Subaru.

Archived