LegacyGT.com

Toyota Sienna vs. 2000 BMW M5

In 18 years of driving, I've been accident free. To end the streak I ran into an M5. The BMW made out better with only a dent under the taillight, a scraped bumper and a bent passenger side exhaust. My car wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that the radiator was punctured. It sucks but at least no one was hurt.

Chris S.

wreck.JPG.fca733e6d6ee4fce21cbcb145f59c10c.JPG

I was coming off of a highway exit less than a mile from my house. You can either stop at the light to turn left or you can bear right. When you bear right there is a yield sign that goes into your own lane. I definately remember checking the car out and thinking to myself "nice M5". I didn't see his brake lights so I assumed he was going. I looked left and it looked like the light was still red for the traffic at the light. When I looked back to the right the M5 was at a dead stop. I hit the brakes, my nose dipped down and I slid under his bumper. The passenger side muffler actually cracked my bumper cover and his bumper smashed the headlight and shoved what I think is the transmission cooler into the radiator. Of course the whole thing happened in a few seconds. I think if we hit bumper to bumper the impact would have felt worse. It probably would have been enough to trigger the air bags. Neither of my kids woke up with sore necks, so that's a good thing. Chris S.

[quote name='arcsine']Suckage, best of luck with the insurance. I got hit by a beemer once, turns out his sister in law was a claims rep. I got taken to the frickin' cleaners. Sorry man![/quote] That should NOT have happened. If you know the person processing the claim, then there is a conflict of interest. They cannot handle that case. If that ever happens again and you know about, call the insurance company and tell them what's going on. I guarantee that they'll put someone else on that claim - someone a bit more impartial.

[quote name='!S4']That should NOT have happened. If you know the person processing the claim, then there is a conflict of interest. They cannot handle that case. If that ever happens again and you know about, call the insurance company and tell them what's going on. I guarantee that they'll put someone else on that claim - someone a bit more impartial.[/quote] I did get her thrown off, but by then it was too late, she rallied the whole office against me. Anyway, condolences to powbmps.

He was actually quite pleasant, considering what happened. He was in his late 20's, seemed like a good guy. I felt bad about damaging such a nice car. It was a 2000 that he bought less than a year ago. He had to go to New Jersey to find one (he lives here in Maine). It didn't look like a tough fix though. It's a good idea to keep on top of what your auto insurance covers. I didn't realize that I have a $500 deductible and no rental coverage, so even with insurance this could end up costing me $1100 to $1400 depending on how long it takes. Bah! It's a good thing I'm not looking to buy any mods right now. Chris S.

Archived