LegacyGT.com

Installing 6.5" 16:9 TFT LCD display this weekend

Trent Bates

Hi All, A few weeks ago I bought a Pioneer AVDW6200 LCD monitor to help keep our 3 kids occupied on longer trips. Here is the unit I'm referring to: [url]http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/130/h130SYS500D-o_-2.jpeg[/url] But I didn't pay Cruthfield's prices! Anyway, I tried the headrest mount, which was one the main reasons that I went with this unit and it worked out okay but I really felt that I had a better place for it right between the seats above the armrest. I picked up a piece of 22 guage steel and worked with it for a while. It's 2 3/4 inches wide and roughly 3.5"-4 inches long. I folded it in 5 places and it mounts to the underside of the armrest itself using the same holes that the armrest hinge uses. The bracket comes out of the back of the armrest lid and folds back over on top of it. The monitor mounts on top of the bracket with two screws. It's a completely reversible process and no-one would ever know it had been there if I were to remove it. I found that the console where the radio and climate control are is at a 19 degree angle. I plan on matching that angle with the display. It sounds a little strange, but I felt that having the monitor swing back with the armrest lid was the safest place for it. I'm always finding kid foot prints on the back of the center console but the area between the seats is sort of excluded from any contact from either the adults or the kids. It's also a somewhat shielded location from outsiders. I plan on throwing a black hand towel (or something similar) over the unit when it's not in use. I have a set of towels in the car already for spills, etc. I'll have to be careful about smacking the unit on someone's feet when I open the center console though. Because of the viewing angle required, I don't see any better option in that area. I don't have any pics yet, I still need to paint the bracket and let it dry/bake. Then I need to work on getting the wiring in place. The monitor does look nice and is accentuated by the center console in the front. I hope it works well for us! I'll try to post a pic or two of it mounted tomorrow!

[quote name='Trent Bates']Hi All, A few weeks ago I bought a Pioneer AVDW6200 LCD monitor to help keep our 3 kids occupied on longer trips. Here is the unit I'm referring to: [url]http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/130/h130SYS500D-o_-2.jpeg[/url] But I didn't pay Cruthfield's prices! Anyway, I tried the headrest mount, which was one the main reasons that I went with this unit and it worked out okay but I really felt that I had a better place for it right between the seats above the armrest. I picked up a piece of 22 guage steel and worked with it for a while. It's 2 3/4 inches wide and roughly 3.5"-4 inches long. I folded it in 5 places and it mounts to the underside of the armrest itself using the same holes that the armrest hinge uses. The bracket comes out of the back of the armrest lid and folds back over on top of it. The monitor mounts on top of the bracket with two screws. It's a completely reversible process and no-one would ever know it had been there if I were to remove it. I found that the console where the radio and climate control are is at a 19 degree angle. I plan on matching that angle with the display. It sounds a little strange, but I felt that having the monitor swing back with the armrest lid was the safest place for it. I'm always finding kid foot prints on the back of the center console but the area between the seats is sort of excluded from any contact from either the adults or the kids. It's also a somewhat shielded location from outsiders. I plan on throwing a black hand towel (or something similar) over the unit when it's not in use. I have a set of towels in the car already for spills, etc. I'll have to be careful about smacking the unit on someone's feet when I open the center console though. Because of the viewing angle required, I don't see any better option in that area. I don't have any pics yet, I still need to paint the bracket and let it dry/bake. Then I need to work on getting the wiring in place. The monitor does look nice and is accentuated by the center console in the front. I hope it works well for us! I'll try to post a pic or two of it mounted tomorrow![/quote] We need a preemptive :needpics: Just in case you know.... :D

[quote name='Trent Bates']Oh come on. Where's your imaginations? :D I've got some pics to sift through. I'll post soon! Remember that I'm using my daughter's $20 digital camera and it really needs good lighting! :([/quote] our imaginations were snarfed up by these guys [img]http://legacygt.com/images/smiles/needpics.gif[/img] so make with the pics! :P

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Travel connect 4.....keeps me occupied on trips. And I'm the one driving...:)[/quote] A woman in the passenger seat keeps me.....nevermind :D
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='GoSix'][quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Travel connect 4.....keeps me occupied on trips. And I'm the one driving...:)[/quote] A woman in the passenger seat keeps me.....nevermind :D[/quote] Nagged? :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='GoSix'][quote name='jedimaster']Nagged? :lol:[/quote] EXACTLY! :P[/quote] Yup- married=nagged. Pre-marriage=, well, something else... Nice looking screen- do you have any plans to install one in the front?

[quote name='jedimaster']Nice looking screen- do you have any plans to install one in the front?[/quote] I have toyed with the idea of fitting a 5" (Or whatever fits in a 5 3/8" x 2" space) 16:9 screen under the door between the vents. Screens that small are kind of hard to find these days. When my Wife watches our little portable I find it kind of distracting so I'm not sure that I want a screen there. I might put one way down in the passenger footwell so that she could watch it without bothering me. Maybe I'll just get her a set of those VR glasses instead! I think the fashion statement would speak for itself. :) I'm open to other ideas! I've got an extra 5" 4:3 cheapo screen that I can experiment in placement with. Truth be told, I would not of bought this Pioneer unit if I hadn't planned on using the headrest mount for it. It's a little on the expensive side for what you get. Oh well. :)

Archived