LegacyGT.com

Satin black finish coming off of driver's door inside handle

Trent Bates

Hi all, It looks like these parts are just shiny plastic painted with a satin black paint. I have roughly 2,000 miles on it in about 6 weeks. It appears that the area was initially scratched with keys (Maybe even by me) and the paint is comming off. I'd like to see some perforated leather on these handles like I have on my steering wheel and hand brake. I'm going to bring it to my dealer's attention first though. If this becomes a common issue, every reported case of it will help a little. Anyone else have any ideas? Stuff like this is the price you pay for getting the first model year of a car I suppose. I had hoped that the existing JDM versions would help us avoid these issues.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Trent Bates']Hi all, It looks like these parts are just shiny plastic painted with a satin black paint. I have roughly 2,000 miles on it in about 6 weeks. It appears that the area was initially scratched with keys (Maybe even by me) and the paint is comming off. I'd like to see some perforated leather on these handles like I have on my steering wheel and hand brake. I'm going to bring it to my dealer's attention first though. If this becomes a common issue, every reported case of it will help a little. Anyone else have any ideas? Stuff like this is the price you pay for getting the first model year of a car I suppose. I had hoped that the existing JDM versions would help us avoid these issues.[/quote] ??? Mine are chrome ???

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Trent Bates']Well, Okay. The small handle that unlatches the door mechanically is chrome. I'm talking about the part a person tends to grab when trying to close the door. :) It's nearly vertical..., black in color..., one on each door..., you know! :D[/quote] Oh- duh- didn't even think of that- I thought it was coated with some kind of rubber.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='axis008']It's good your dealer took care of you :).[/quote] And no surprise that they did. I know that Subaru is often slagged on message boards for having poor service, but of all the people I know who have Subarus, not to mention my own exceptional experiences, nobody has ever received bad service. Kevin

The thing about an issue like this is that it's not uncommon to see stuff like this happen to a first year car after a design change. Since the car isn't in it's first year in the JDM, I was hoping to avoid any problems like this. It may have just been a bad batch of handles that had a contaminant on it prior to being painted. I'm still giving serious though to covering them with perforated leather. I'd rather not have to worry about which handle will peel next. As for the dealership, I'd love to give them praise, but they haven't treated me special yet. I pretty much expected that they'd replace the door handle on a car with 2,300 miles. That's what the warranty is for and it's certainly in their best interest to fix a problem such as this!

• 9 months later...
Sort of an old thread... Found it in a search cuz i'm having the same darn problem! I figured out that sun block on my arm is the problem. It causes the coating on the handle, and the gray paint below the handle to peel. doesn't take much, and I have tried more than one type of sunblock. Soooo it seems sorta pointless to have the dealer replace the handle, unless the new ones have better finishes. But the handle is getting pretty ungly looking, so bleh. Maybe i'll paint it myself.

• 2 months later...
When I get a trim concern in my store this is my way about, 1 time is warranty - 2nd time if it happens in the same spot, wear and tear. It may sound harsh,but I have had customers come in for int. door panels 3 times and each time the same spot wore dowm. Got to make the customer happy and in turn keep the factory off your back about exessive repair costs. But he should have given you a shot on it omen.

• 1 year later...

Archived