LegacyGT.com

Need help! - Wagon mooroof problems

yup replacement guide rails and assorted hardware was $180 then they determined my motor had "expired". bringing my car back tmmw to install a $500 dollar replacement motor. >:(

well in our case the motor is fine, but they want to charge us $1000 for parts alone for the track assembly...doesn't make sense to me but i think they want to replace everything but the glass...we're trying to find a different option than a $2000 repair to our 4 1/2 yr old subaru.

When i open mine it comes off the track and makes a terrible noise. Then you have to close it, and it does the same thing.. Hurts my insides..

Just stopped using it. But thanks for the reminder, i better get it fixed.

Good luck

ok there use to be problem on the older outback and forester where the actual roof rails would warp causing the roof to not close properly, probably not what ur guys problem is thou, some of you may need to relearn or reprogram the sunroof, something u can do at home. just manually shut your roofs then hold the close slide/ shut button for more than 2 seconds. once u do that your sunroof should default to original peramiters and open half way then go to full open in two stops, you may have to do it a couple times

• 6 months later...

Okay - after 5 1/2 years of little to no issues, the sunroof on our 05 LGTW just started having problems. First, it wouldn't open (nothing, nada, in the movement arena), although there's always a short "click" back in the rear area. Drive it around for a while, try it again and it would open perfectly. Tonight, after work, I opened it up and drove home, pulled in to the driveway, started my shutdown sequence, which includes closing the roof while the engine idles down... nothing, nada, except that same short "click" back in the rear area of the sunroof.

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially since I don't want my wife worried about the roof being open while I'm on travel.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My '05 5EAT had a major failure of a crappy piece of plastic (read BROKE) that closed the front portion of the sunroof. Everything else was still operable but I could not bring myself to pay the dealership (read THIEVES, ROBBERS, @#$%^$#$!!!) price to replace ENTIRE sunroof actuating mechanism--$2K!!!!!! Now I drive around with a big damned window in the roof that does nothing.

Bumping this up as rain is in the forecast and I need to get this closed. Any assistance is appreciated.

Never had that before, all creaks were fixed with the fluffy side of velcro stripping, and I'm still glad I got the moonroof, because I can stand up through it and stuff.

I do too, I like to cruise South beach with my head sticking out and my foot doing the steering.

we ended up getting our sunroof repair at a body shop instead of the stealer. it was convenient since my wife conveniently caused the car to be at the body shop in the first place...:( we ended up getting the parts from a salvage yard that specializes in subis that had a legacy sunroof intact. the entire repair ended up costing us about $600 or so instead of the $2000 that the dealer wanted to charge. good luck, no easy fixes from what i can see.

Have you try closing it manually per the manual?

The owner's manual or the tech manual? Didn't see anything in the TM, but possibly the OM will shed some light

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Anyone gotten this fixed? Im taking mine to the dealer tomorrow morning. My roof won't open, the front right opens about an inch, but the left stays down. This started after i was out of town for 12 days, car had to sit outside the whole time, exposed to FL weather. Where the two glass panels meet there is something on the left side, like a stain ot something, maybe corrosion....that was definitely not there before I left town...

Okay - after 5 1/2 years of little to no issues, the sunroof on our 05 LGTW just started having problems. First, it wouldn't open (nothing, nada, in the movement arena), although there's always a short "click" back in the rear area. Drive it around for a while, try it again and it would open perfectly. Tonight, after work, I opened it up and drove home, pulled in to the driveway, started my shutdown sequence, which includes closing the roof while the engine idles down... nothing, nada, except that same short "click" back in the rear area of the sunroof.

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially since I don't want my wife worried about the roof being open while I'm on travel.

My '06 OBXT did the exact same thing a couple months ago... came home from work with the moonroof wide open. Went to close it and nothing happened except what sounded like a motor relay clicking in the middle of the headliner (above rear seat somewhere). I closed the roof manually (using an allen wrench & vise grips through the rear access hole) and after a few days of not working it magically started working again. Now I never try to open the roof unless I know I have time to mess with closing it manually (never when it might rain). I'm sure that some day I'll have to tear out the headliner and replace parts but hopefully not soon (will never pay a dealer to do it).

Archived