LegacyGT.com

Chevron vs Shell vs Mobil

awdG35killer

which brand 91 octane  

32 members have voted

1. 1. which brand 91 octane

Actually, it seems to go more by dealer/the individual station than just brand from what I have seen. the last couple of tanks I got at a different exxon dealer and the mileage dropped to mid 25's. Then two days ago I got it at a Citgo and its been averaging 27.9-28.5. Its amazing how buying different places affects mileage so much.

Chevron with Techron. It's the best fuel due to the Techron additive which is a detergent to keep your internals clean. The Shell with V-Power is copy of the Chevron formula. If you do a search you will find the wonders of Techron, I personally have used Techron (bought in a separate bottle in addition to the gas) on older cars to help clean injectors and valves. I recommend adding a bottle of Techron to a full tank before an oil change since the deposits it cleans will now be in the oil. Make sure to do this two fill ups before the oil change so the Techron has finished doing its job.

[quote name='B D']Chevron with Techron. It's the best fuel due to the Techron additive which is a detergent to keep your internals clean. The Shell with V-Power is copy of the Chevron formula. If you do a search you will find the wonders of Techron, I personally have used Techron (bought in a separate bottle in addition to the gas) on older cars to help clean injectors and valves. I recommend adding a bottle of Techron to a full tank before an oil change since the deposits it cleans will now be in the oil. Make sure to do this two fill ups before the oil change so the Techron has finished doing its job.[/quote] You seem to know your stuff! Does anyone have any comments on Arco gasoline? Usually my parents fill up at Chevron and Shell occassionally, but Arco seems to always have the best prices, so I find myself there more often.
-ben

More than you would ever want to know, get a pot of coffee ready if you want to read it all. [url]http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/.html[/url] Arco gas is OK to answer your question. There is no bad gas but some like Chevron are better because of the detergents added.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I came across this in our company-wide newsgroup (Delphi Automotive, in case you're wondering). This little tidbit of info came from "Chip", our resident automotive industry expert. (Quoting Chip) GM participated in developing a Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standard, which exceeds the detergency standards imposed by the EPA (applies to the United States only). Here's a list of gasoline brands that meet Top Tier standards as of August 15, 2004. Chevron Chevron has markets in 29 states in the West, Southwest and South. QuikTrip QuikTrip (not to be confused with Kwik Trip) operates convenience stores and travel centers in: Tulsa, OK Springfield, MO Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS Wichita, KS Des Moines, IA Omaha, NE St. Louis, MO and St. Louis, IL Atlanta, GA Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX Phoenix, AZ Bartlesville, OK Miami, OK Vinita, OK Columbia, MO (end quote) Unfortunately, being in Indiana, we have none of these around. This is in response to the fact that GM has been noticing warranty claims on fuel injectors and related fueling components. Basically, GM has determined that the EPA standards for detergent levels in gasoline is insufficient for modern fuel injected engines, and leads to impurity buildup and emissions/fuel system failure. BTW, the EPA detergent standard was made in the carbureted era, long before fuel injection had become the norm and hasn't changed since.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, this is complete hearsay but I will post it anyway. I spoke with a well respected tuner and he said stay away from Chevron and Mobil. Apparently, these brands of gas did not perform as well as 76 and Shell. We were discussing dynoing in general and he mentioned that he has tested a few vehicles with different fuels and each demonstrated better results with 76 and Shell when talking about turbo applications.

For the land of the free, I cant believe that you get the worst fuel octane in the World. We run Shell Optimax Octane 98 and we are still screaming for more. That is why are STi's etc are detuned from the Japan rated 206 to our 195. If I was you, I would start a rally to get more Octane ASAP. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']For the land of the free, I cant believe that you get the worst fuel octane in the World. We run Shell Optimax Octane 98 and we are still screaming for more. That is why are STi's etc are detuned from the Japan rated 206 to our 195. If I was you, I would start a rally to get more Octane ASAP. Adam.[/QUOTE] Octane rating isn't always the same. In the US, we use R+M/2 which is the average of the Motor Octane Number (MON) and the Research Octane Number (RON)... I believe in Japan and Aus use the RON method strictly, which produces a larger number (on average) than MON. So, basically our 93/94 octane is roughly equivalent to your 98 octane.

Archived